Chapter 13 - Threats to Come

[The Following Day]

"Well?" Jon asked the Maester impatiently.

"She is indeed with child your Grace" the Maester responded to Jon.

Jon turned towards Sansa with a slight smile, he was a proud soon-to-be father. Sansa stared at the Maester a little longer before she turned facing Jon. She looked at him wondering if he knew what this child meant. A child on the way, in the most awful situations to come. Cersei may or may not be marching North as they speak, and the Great War is almost upon them. 

"Thank you Grand Maester" Jon replied kindly. "Your Grace, my Lady" the Grand Maester responded, bowed his head in respect, and then left the Great Hall.

Jon and Sansa were left alone sitting at the front of the Great Hall. Jon was a happy man. He got up and was about to walk away from his chair, and out of the Great Hall to see Dany, until Sansa whispered under her breathe, but loud enough so Jon could hear her. "I'm not sure you know what his child will mean." 

Jon stopped in his tracks, and turned back towards Sansa by the doors. Sansa looked up at Jon as he turned facing her. "Look, I'm happy for you, truly. But a child born, at this point in time, It's just not safe" Sansa told him respectfully. Jon understood her concerns, but he will not let anything happen to his family. "Jon, if we are not even ready to protect our selves from the threats around us, how are we supposed to protect a helpless child during the harshest circumstances?" she asked concerningnly. 

Jon walked to Sansa and grabbed her hand lovingly to show his comfort. "Sansa." she glanced down at her hand being held by Jon, then up towards to his eyes. "I know you're worried, as am I. We will be ready for the wars to come. We will also be ready when my child is born. I will protect my family with my life." Sansa gave him a slight smile, looking up at his eyes. She knew just how honourable he was with his words, just like their father...well her father.

"and the northern lords, aren't you worried what they may say?" Sansa asked him. "Worried?" Jon glanced at her face, looking back and fourth between her eyes, to understand what she meant. "The bloodline of you and Daenerys' child...may not be accepted by some of the northern lords." Jon pulled away his hand slowly. Sansa still looking up at him, waiting for some sort of response or reaction. Jon thought about what Sansa had just said for a few seconds, then walked out of the Great Hall, leaving Sansa alone.

Little Finger entered the Great Hall, out of the shadows. 

"Lady Sansa, sorry for the intrusion, but the Dragon Queen..." "Is Pregnant. Yes." Sansa said looking into the distance straight faced.

She looked down towards her hands on the table. Then looked up towards the door that Jon had just exited. 

"My brother is soon to be a father" she said with mixed emotions.