Chapter 22 - My Children

Birds...wait, Drogon?....no....Viserion? It can't be. I saw you my love, I saw you fall into the ice...as your breath slipped away in front of my eyes. Why are you here? Those aren't your eyes, no...their much colder now. This isn't your warmth, no...your much cooler now. That isn't your fire, no...it's ice now.

Daenerys' eyes started to open again, she felt a warmth on her hand as she layed in her bed. Everything was blurry around her, but she could see shadows, and there were many of them. She couldn't make out who was in the room with her, until she heard that rugged voice, the voice of the man she loves so deeply. Jon sat right on Daenerys' bedside the entire day, ever since he was told of the news that Dany may be going into labour. Jon held her hand tightly as she started to wake up. Jorah, Missandei, Grey Worm, Arya, Tyrion, and the Maester of Winterfell were all standing around. Daenerys took a deep, but weak breath. She saw Jon right beside her. The first thing she asked him was, "The baby?" Jon placed his hand on Dany's huge belly, and looked at her with a slight smile,"right here." Daenerys gave a huge sigh of relief, knowing that she hadn't miscarried, or had given birth to a still born monster she had once with Drogo.

Daenerys placed her hand on her belly, and felt that huge kick she had felt when she was on the stairs earlier that day, but not as aggressive as before. Jon leaned into towards Dany's head, and kissed her gently on the forehead as she was resting. The Maester came forward, and bowed his head slightly towards the King and Queen, before he spoke. "Your grace, the contractions you felt earlier today was an early form of labour, your time is soon...but not this soon." Daenerys nodded as much as she could, but Jon nodded for the both of them, he responded, "Thank you maester, my wife and I are thankful for your assistance."

The maester bowed his head in acceptance towards his king, and back up towards the others. Jon then faced Daenerys, and asked her quietly still holding her hand, and the other placed on her belly, "how are you feeling, how is our little one?" Daenerys looked at him and placed her hand on top of his that was on her belly. "I'm alright...I was scared though. I thought... I thought I would lose our baby." Daenerys looked down, and started to tear up. "I didn't want to disappoint you, I know how much you want a family...and I was scared I wouldn't be able to give you one." Jon lifted up Dany's sad face, and wiped her tears with his thumbs. "I'm sorry I wasn't there today when you needed me most...but you don't have to worry or feel scared you will disapoint me. You out of anyone, will never disappoint me. You are the only family I need, our child will only make our family larger." Daenerys looked into his large brown eyes, and had a small smile on her face. Jon continued, "I love you, everything you do makes me proud, no matter what."

All of sudden a Winterfell soldier ran into the room, with quite a concerned face. Jon turned around quickly and looked at the soldiers face. Jon got up, and walked towards the solider. The soldier pulled Jon aside, whispering something the Daenerys couldn't hear, but by the looks of it seemed quite important. Daenerys turned her head which was still resting on the pillow towards the window on-looking the North. Daenerys could see nothing but snow, snow that blocked any vision of a human being. She could hear the northern winds rise like never before. She then heard what at first could be mistaken as a bell, used to summon the servants down the hall. But that wasn't what she was hearing, no... it was the Horn, the horn used to warn the soldiers for battle.

Daenerys then turned her head back to Jon, who was walking back to her. He stood there for a few minutes in silence, as if in a sort of shock. Daenerys grabbed his hand to get his attention, wanting to know if what she heard was what he was so worried about. Jon went down on one knee beside Dany, and looked at her in sadness. Daenerys was scarred, she wondered if she was ready to hear what he was about to say. He leaned on her bedside and grabbed both her hands, and whispered to her in worrisome tone, "The Night King is here." Daenerys couldn't believe that the Great War is finally here, in the worst time possible. Her baby might be on the way, by the pain in her belly, as she layed in her bed talking to Jon. Daenerys tried to get up as if she was willing to put on her winter clothes and head outside to fight in the battle. Jon grabbed her two shoulders, and placed her down gently, and told her, "What do you think you're doing?" Daenerys looked at him scarred, "I can't let you fight this battle alone...I can't lose you...I won't lose you." She tried to get up again, but Jon intervened once more, placing his hand on her cheeks, "and you won't lose me. I promise...I will come back to the both of you."

Daenerys started to tear up again, "Promise?" she said. Jon looked deep into her eyes and responded, "You are what I fight for," he placed his hand on her large belly, and looked down at her belly and then back at her eyes, "and now, I have another reason to win this battle." Jon then started to tear up, knowing that he might not live, and that this might be the last time he will see Daenerys and his unborn child. He tried to remain calm, so that he can keep Dany calm as well. They were both so close, and tearing up, both worried for what this battle might bring. Jon leaned down towards Dany one last time, and gave a her long and loving kiss on her beautiful lips. She held his face close to hers, never wanting to let go. He held her close, not knowing if this might be the last time he will ever see her again. Jon then unlocked his lips from hers slowly, and whispered, "I will come back to you, no matter what." She held him close for a few more seconds, resting her head on his shoulders, knowing that she has to let go of the man she loves, and the father of her child.

Jon then released his hands from her beautiful face, and turned towards the door. He grabbed long claw from Jorah, who was waiting for Jon to head off into battle. Jon opened the door, he turned around one last time to look at his beautiful wife carrying his little miracle in her belly that they had created together. She looked back at him, still tearing up, but she had to let him go, so she gave him a little nod telling him she will be alright without him. Jon looked down, but then back up at her for a few seconds, but it felt like hours. Jon then turned towards Grey Worm and Jorah and gave them a nod, telling them that he is ready. They followed behind Jon as he walked out of the Dany's chambers.

Just as Jon closed the door, the screatching of Drogon and Rhaegal were loud and so unexpected. Daenerys heard her children roar, shaking the grounds in the north. She couldn't believe they had returned, she hadn't seen or heard them in a while, they came at just the right time for the battle. Now, not only does Daenerys have to worry about Jon, but also her children. Daenerys looked around the room to see Missandei, Arya, and Tyrion are still with her, and will stay with her throughout the battle. All of sudden the castle shook from the wings of Drogon passing by, and in that moment Daenerys felt a surge of pain in her belly once more. Though this time she leaned her head back quickly in agony, squinting her eyes tightly, and clenching her teeth. She felt below her on the sheets, a wet sensation. Her water had broke.

This was really happening, the birth of her child was about to happen in the middle of the worst battle in the history of Westeros.

The battle between the living and the dead.