chapter fifty six

"Don't come home," I suggested.

"You know I can't do that, I want to be back in LA. To see you," Ethan replied.

"Not if it isn't safe here!" I yelped, referring to the threats made to him and Grayson the past few days. They haven't made any public responses, but it was still worrying me to death.

"Emma, don't worry about me, they're probably just two thirteen-year-old girls looking for attention," Ethan said slowly. "It's not like I haven't dealt with this before,"

"Okay," I said nervously. "But I'm picking you up,"

"Fine. Tomorrow. We land at 11, so I'll text you, okay?"

"Okay, I love you,"

"I love you too,"

The next day I was a bundle of nerves. I decided to bring Bryant along, and he waited in the car as I moved towards baggage claim. I saw them, waved, and Ethan jogged over, hugging me quickly, and looking around for the cameras.

"Let's hurry, please," I said.

"Relax, Emma, everything is fine," Ethan said. He grabbed his suitcase and took my hand.

"Look, I'm wearing white, just like they asked," he teased. My mouth dropped, shocked at his complete careless attitude.

"Emma! It's fine! I swear!" he laughed as he climbed into the backseat with me. "Pinky promise?"

He held his finger out. "You make me nervous," I said, interlocking my pinky with his.

"Bryant, just go. Please," I said.

"And stop at my favorite breakfast place!" Ethan called happily. "I want avocado toast,"

"Ethan, cool it," Grayson said, annoyed. I covered my eyes with my hands.

Ethan pulled me closer to him and kissed the top of my head.

"We're all safe, Emma, we always will be," he whispered.

We were all due to go to a Louis Vuitton event later that week, so the night before, I stayed at the Dolan house, with Lisa of course. It had been since Sean's funeral that I had seen her last, and she looked much better. Livelier and healthier.

We ate a large dinner the night before, and Ethan and I were relentlessly teased for going to bed together in Ethan's room, but I insisted that we needed good sleep the night before.

I showered and helped Ethan apply pimple cream, before curling up to go to sleep.

Call time was 10AM for hair and makeup for me, and noon for the boys. So unfair. I was essentially sleepwalking when they were doing my makeup, and I wished they hadn't chosen blue eyeshadow. But other than that, my dress was perfect, and the vest was sick. I complained to Ethan all day on the phone when he sent me a picture of his outfit. Literally pants and a sweatshirt.

I took pictures with a lot of people and walked around aimlessly, watching out for pictures of Ethan and me when we weren't looking. I tended to stick closer to Grayson to avoid any scandals.

"You okay?" Ethan asked me probably 20 times that night, and I said yes every time.

"Just tired!"

But when we finally ubered home, I completely relaxed with Ethan's arm around my side. 

vote/comment for next chapter