2- Nightmares

Evelyn was wandering through the woods. It was a cool night, she had woken up in the middle of the night and had decided to take a walk through the backwoods behind her house.

Her father had been missing since childbirth and her abusive stepfather had been in the picture ever since. Her mother was always trying to help her but since he paid the bills they needed to deal with it.

He abused Evelyn but he abused her mother as well.

She eventually made her way back to her bed where her drunken stepfather had finally made it home from the bar.

She closed her door and silently crept to bed hoping that he hadn't noticed her and would just head straight to be.

She was mistaken.

Moments later the doorway creaked open and her father stumbled in. He could barely walk on his own two legs.

She whimpered and tried to hide under her blankets as he neared but he was far too strong for her as he ripped the blankets off and pinned her to her bed as he crawled on top of her.

She cried to no one. "Help me. Please."

Instinct suddenly flew through her body as she harnessed something inside her that had always been there but had just been uncovered, like a key under a rock.

"Get off me." She growled at him.

He snarled at her. "Shut up, bitch. You listen to me." His hand reached up and slapped her across the face snapping her neck to the side.

Evelyn turned her head back toward him and glared daggers into his head.

A soft orange glow illuminated across her stepfathers face as her eyes turned orange.

She closed her palm and snapped it open releasing a cracking noise like firecrackers as a blinding light filled the air.

Her stepfather yelled and fell off her bed in pain before he hit his head on the dresser and fell unconscious.

Evelyn started to cry before she got out of bed and began packing a bag full of clothes. Later that night she fled her home and never looked back.

A few weeks later social services showed up to her makeshift hiding place in a back alleyway and brought her to a foster home where she had discovered her mom had sent her into the foster program to give her a better life.

It didn't get much better for her after that as foster family to foster family flashed through her memories.

She had never felt at home. Not at a single one, until she turned eighteen and was finally free. On her eighteenth birthday she had discovered that her father was an Olympian God, Apollo and that they were soon to be in the middle of a war.

She had heard the stories of Achilles and had one day dreamed of meeting him never thinking that he would become her best friend.

She had never once felt safe or welcome in any of her homes that she had bounced from place to place.

The only place she ever felt at home was with Achilles...

***
Evelyn's eyes shot open and she sat straight up on the couch she was lying on in a cold sweat. Tears ran down her face as she pulled her hands through her hair.

She stood up and pulled Achilles sweatshirt down from where it had ridden up to her stomach. She had decided against the sweatpants since the sweatshirt was big enough that she didn't need them.

She sniffled and rubbed her tears off her cheeks and she walked to the side of Achilles bed where he was sleeping.

She smiled at him before pulling back the covers and crawling in next to him where she was positioned as the little spoon.

She pulled his right arm underneath her neck and pulled his left over her body so that he was holding her close.

She closed her eyes and smiled as she rested her head against his pillow and fell asleep to his warm breath pressing against the back of her neck.

Evelyn knew how she felt about Achilles, it was the same way she had always felt about him. Ever since they met he was always so understanding and caring with her. He never once judged her without it being a joke and she felt safe with him, every second of the day.

But she also knew how Achilles felt about Olivia and she knew that he needed to figure that out for himself without her getting in the middle of it.

The only thing is that someday he would ask her the question and she wouldn't be able to lie about it.

***
Birds chirped waking Evelyn up from her slumber as a beam of light shown in from the bedroom window.

She smiled as she woke up but frowned when she realized that Achilles wasn't in bed.

She looked at the couch, as a feeling of worry spread through her, had he gotten up and not liked what was happening and moved?

He wasn't there either.

Her face fell back into her pillow as she let out a sigh of relief.

The bathroom door opened and she looked up to see Achilles walk out with just a pair of black shorts on.

She blushed as she found herself staring at the upper half of his body. She hadn't seen it in awhile but it had its fair share of scars from the battles he had been fighting over the last few years.

"Get lonely last night?" He asked her as he pulled his long hair back.

"I had a bad dream." She said to him. "I hope you didn't mind. I know you're going through a lot and I didn't want you to think."

Achilles cut her off and he sat next to her and put a hand on her thigh. "Don't worry about me, do what you need to."

She smiled as her eyes trailed to the hand on her thigh. "Thank you."

"It was about your father wasn't it."

She looked down and nodded.

"Don't worry, I'm always here for you." He said smiling at her. "And I'll make sure to knock his teeth out if we ever run into him."

She laughed a little bit before she sat up and wrapped her arm around his neck before pulling him back into bed.

"Can I sleep in the bed tonight?"