Chapter 38 - Moment of Truth

Jane hesitated by the classroom door. She peeked through the window, seeing the other kids talking loudly. Debbie hadn't arrived yet, much to her relief. She saw Becka and Holly sitting near the front; books out, talking a little and smiling. Surprisingly enough, there was a spare seat next to Holly. For her?

Jane let out a long breath. Now that she was here, about to present her poem to the class, she'd lost her nerve. She knew she would. It seemed inevitable. Good things always come to end. She'd learned that the hard way. What was she thinking, writing something as revealing as this? Even the dumbest of people could put two and two together.

"Jane?"

She started, turning round to see Debbie walking towards her; a concerned look on her face. A black, wheeled suitcase trailed behind her. Her hair was loose today, straightened and shining. She wore a cream top and a black shirt with heels. She looked taller and very pretty.

"Jane. Are you okay?" she asked, standing in front of her.

Jane looked down at her feet for a moment, gathering her thoughts. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine," she rushed; her heart pounding.

Debbie didn't look convinced, but she smiled. "It's nice to see you in. Did you have a nice weekend?"

"I did thanks," she grinned. "I went camping with my parents and my boyfriend."

Debbie's eyes widened. "Camping? Whereabouts?" she smiled, seeming interested.

"Somewhere in Essex. I don't remember the name," giggled Jane; her cheeks burning.

"I'd love to hear more about it, but I have a class to teach. Gotta love Mondays," she sang with a look of playful despair. Jane laughed, feeling relieved and again calm. She could do this. She liked and trusted Debbie, and she wouldn't do anything to make her feel uncomfortable. She wouldn't ask too many questions. She hadn't since she'd started there. She could trust Debbie. Just not with a certain secret. Yet.

Debbie opened the door and after a friendly gesture, Jane walked through and made her way over to Holly and Becka. They both turned to her, both smiling.

"Hey," greeted Holly cheerfully, her blonde hair in a fish braid; her dreamcaster earrings jangled as she moved her head side to side.

"Hey," smiled Jane, sitting down next to Holly and sorting through her bag for her books and pencil case.

"Have a good weekend?" asked Becka, leaning forward. Jane peered round at her.

"Yeah I did thanks," she replied. "How about you? Do anything fun?"

Becka laughed, almost entertained by the idea of having fun. "Yeah right. My parents were at work all weekend, so I had to look after my seven year old brother. Was it fun? Hell no!"

Both Jane and Holly cooed at her and patted her hand, sharing their sympathy. Becka saw through their rouse immediately and pouted her lips annoyingly.

"Did you get the poem done?" asked Becka , gesturing to her copy of Speak in front of her. "I finished the whole thing in two hours and boy, was that depressing!"

Jane's throat went dry. She looked down into her bag, searching round for her pen and books. It was the perfect excuse to not answer her.

"Alright, guys and girls," Debbie clapped her hands and the class fell silent almost immediately. "I hope you all had a lovely weekend, but now it's back to business. As I hope you all remember, I set you the task of reading the first hundred pages of Speak, and writing a poem from Melinda's perspective. Now, you may have read more, in which case, wonderful. If not, don't worry. It's a difficult book to read, when you find yourself in such a good mood."