The End of the World

CHAPTER 10| YOU LOOK LIKE NASTY PAPER

   "The metal machine confirms. The spider devices have infiltrated the whole of platform one," Jabe says to the people in the observation gallery.

   "How's that possible? Our private rooms are protected by a code wall. Moisturize me, moisturize me," Cassandra says.

   "Summon the Steward," the blue alien in the chair says.

   "I'm afraid the steward is dead," Jabe says.

   "Who killed him?"

    "This whole event was sponsored by the Face of Boe. He invited us. Talk to the Face. Talk to the Face!" Cassandra says quickly joining the conversation.

   "Easy way of finding out. Someone brought their pet on board. Let's send him back to master," the Doctor says walking into the room setting the spider that Jabe was scanning, and it scuttles off to Cassandra and scans her, then goes to the black gowned group.

   "The Adherents of the Repeated Meme. J'accuse!" Cassandra says.

   "That's all very well, and really kind of obvious, but if you stop and think about it-" the Doctor says going over to the Adherants. Their leader tries to hit him, so he pulls its arm off. "A Repeated Meme is just an idea. And that's all they are, an idea." He pulls one of the wires dangling from the arm, and the Adherants all collapse. "Remote controlled droids. Nice little cover for the real troublemaker. Go on, Jimbo. Go home," the Doctor uses his foot to move the little robot, and it returns to Cassandra. 

   "I bet you were the school swot and never got kissed. At arms!" Cassandra says, her attendants raise their spray guns.

   "What are you going to do, moisturize me?"

   "With acid. Oh, you're too late, anyway. My spiders have control of the mainframe. Oh, you all carried them as gifts, tax free, past every code wall. I'm not just a pretty face."

   "Sabotaging a ship while you're still inside it? How stupid's that?"

   "I'd hoped to manufacture a hostage situation with myself as one of the victims. The compensation would have been enormous."

   "Five billion years and it still comes down to money."

   "Do you think it's cheap, looking like this? Flatness cost a fortune. I am the last human, Doctor. Me. Not that freaky little kid of yours!"

   "Arrest her, the infidel!" the little blue sitting one speaks.

   "Oh, shut it, pixie. I've still got my final option.

   "Earth Death in three minutes," the intercom says.

   "And here it comes. You're just as useful dead, all f you. I have shares in your rival companies and they'll triple in price as soon as you're dead. My spiders are primed and ready to destroy the safety systems. How did that old Earth song go? Burn, baby, burn."

   "Then you'll burn with us" Jabe says.

   "Oh, I'm so sorry. I know the use of teleportation is strictly forbidden, but I'm such a naughty thing. Spiders, activate." There is a series of explosions through the platform. "Force fields gone with the planet about to explode. At least it'll be quick. Just like my fifth husband. Oh, shame on me."

   "Safety systems failing," the intercom announces.

   "Bye, bye, darlings. Bye, bye, my darlings." Cassandra and her attendants beam out. She looks just like nasty paper, (Y/N) thinks, and so it her attitude.