The Girl in the Fireplace

CHAPTER 41| AWKWARD

  Y/n had entered back through the mirror after leaving the King to dance with Reinette. Y/n had found Rose and Mickey strapped to slanted tables. She sees the Doctor coming up behind her as she watches the droids and Rose talk. The Doctor goes into the room with out warning.

   "I could've danced all night, I could've danced all night!" the Doctor sang walking into the room. His tie was on his head and he was wearing sunglasses. "And still have begged for more. I could've spread my wings and done a thou," the Doctor finishes singing and points his glass to the female Time Lord behind the TARDIS, the droids walk over capturing her. "Have you met the French? My god, they know how to party!"

   "Oh, look what the cat dragged in. The Oncoming Storm," Y/n says with sarcasm dripping like poison from her lips.

   "Oh, you sound like your mother," Y/n gasps at this comment.

   "Doctor! I've had enough of you. What've you been doing? Where've you been?"

   "Well, among other things, I think just invented the banana daiquiri a few centuries early. Do you know, they've never even seen a banana before. Always take a banana to a party, Rose. Bananas are good. Oh ho, ho, ho, ho, brilliant. It's you. You're my favourite, you are. You are the best! Do you know why? Because you're so thick. You're Mister Thick Thick Thickity Thick Face from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad. Do you know what they were scanning Reinette's brain for? Her milometer. They want to know how old she is. Know why? Because this ship is thirty seven years old, and they think that when Reinette is thirty seven, when she's complete, then her brain will be compatible. So, that's what you're missing, isn't it, hmm? Command circuit. Your computer. Your ship needs a brain. And for some reason, God knows what, only the brain of Madame de Pompadour will do."

   "The brain is compatible," the droid holding Y/n says.

   "Compatible? If you believe that, you probably believe this is a glass of wine," the Doctor pours the liquid from his cup into the droid watching the clockwork seize up. "Multigrain anti-oil. If it moves, it doesn't."

   "Great now get me out of this so I can kick you," Y/n responds.

   "Oo, don't know if I want to do that." The Doctor flips a switch on the console making all the droids bend over in the off position. Mickey and Rose get free first. Then the Doctor walks over to Y/n, "Sorry about, everything."

   "I can't forgive you at this moment," Y/n says quietly as the Doctor releases her from the droid.

   "I can understand that, but think about it." Y/n nods at him.

   "Are those things safe?" Mickey asks.

   "Yeah. Safe and thick, way I like them. Okay. All the time windows are controlled from here. I need to close them all down. Zeus plugs. Where are my Zeus plugs? I had them a minute ago."

   "You we're using them as castanets," Y/n responds her arms crossed.

   "Why didn't they just open a time window to when she was thirty seven?" Rose asks.

   "With the amount of damage to these circuits, they did well to hit the right century. Trial and error after that."

   "The windows aren't closing. Why won't they close?" the Doctor says running around the console. A bell rings through the room.

   "What's that?" Rose asks.

   "I don't know. Incoming message?"

   "From who?"