The Unquiet Dead

CHAPTER 12| FOLLOW THAT HEARSE

   "Gas! It's made of gas," the Doctor says, he is still inside the theater with the man from the stage.

   "Doctor!" Rose comes running in alone.

   "Rose! Where's (Y/N)?"

   "They got her, took her." The three run out of the theater to see the people packing (Y/N) into the hearse, and driving away. 

   "You're not escaping me, sir. What do you know about that hobgoblin, hmm? Projection on glass, I suppose. Who put you up to it?" the man asks.

   "Yeah, mate. Not now, thanks. Oi, you! Follow that hearse!" the Doctor says as he and Rose get into a nearby carriage.

   "I can't do that, sir," the driver says.

   "Why not?"

   "I'll tell you why not. I'll give you a very good reason why not. Because this is my coach," the man says.

   "Well, get in, then. Move!" The driver cracks the whip and the carriage moves down the street. "Come on, you're losing them."

   "Everything in order, Mister Dickens?" the driver asks.

   "No! It is not!" the man says.

   "What did he say?" Rose asks.

   "Let me say this first. I'm not without a sense of humor-" 

   "Dickens?" the Doctor asks.

   "Yes."

   "Charles Dickens?"

   "Yes."

   "The Charles Dickens?"

   "Should I remove the gentleman and lady, sir?" the driver asks.

   "Charles Dickens? You're brilliant, you are. Completely one hundred percent brilliant. I've read them all. Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, and what's the other one, the one with the ghost?" the Doctor says facing Charles Dickens, formally the unnamed man.

   "A Christmas Carol?" Dickens says.

   "No, no, no, the one with the trains. The signal Man, that's it. Terrifying! The best short story ever written. You're a genius."

   "You want me to get rid of them, sir?" the driver asks.

   "Er, no, I think they can stay," Dickens replies smiling at the Doctor and Rose.

   "Honestly, Charles. Can I call you Charles? I'm such a big fan," the Doctor smiles a goofy smile, making Rose lightly laugh.

   "How exactly are you a fan? In what way do you resemble a means of keeping oneself cool?" 

   "No, it means fanatic, devoted to. Mind you, I've got to say, the American bit in Martin Chuzzlewit, what's that about? Was that just padding or what? I mean, it's rubbish, that bit."

   "I thought you said you were my fan?"

   "Ah, well, if you can't take criticism. o on, do the death of Little Nell, it cracks me up. No, sorry, forget about that. Come on, faster!" the Doctor shouts at the driver.

   "Who exactly is in that hearse?" Dickens asks the Doctor. The Doctor goes to speak but looks at Rose and smiles and whispers into Dickens ear, quiet enough that Rose can't hear.

   "Someone special to me," the Doctor whispers in Dickens ear.

   "Why are we wasting my time talking about dry old books? This is much more important. Driver, be swift! The chase is on.

   "Yes, sir!" the driver responds.

   "Attaboy, Charlie!" the Doctor says.

   "Nobody calls me Charlie," Dickens replies.

   "The ladies do."

   "How do you know that?"

   "I told you, I'm your number one-"

   "Number one fan," Dickens cuts the Doctor off.

   They arrive where the hearse is outside. The women from earlier opens the front door to see Charles Dickens, the Doctor, and Rose.

   "I'm sorry, sir. We're closed," she says.

   "Nonsense. Since when did an Undertaker keep office hours? The dead don't die on schedule. I demand to see your master," Dickens says to the women.

   "He's not in, sir."

   "Don't lie to me, child. Summon him at once!" Dickens begins to shout.

   "I'm awfully sorry, Mister Dickens, but the master's indisposed." A glass lamp flares. The Doctor watches then speaks up.

   "Having trouble with your gas?"

   "What the Shakespeare is going on?" Dickens says. The Doctor goes past the Women to the flaring gas lamp.

   "You're not allowed inside, sir," the women says.

   "There's something inside the walls," the Doctor says. "The gas pipes. Something's living inside the gas."

   "Let me out!" the Doctor hears (Y/N) scream. "Open the door!"

   "That's her," the Doctor says to Dickens and Rose.

   "Please, please, let me out!"

   The Doctor runs down the corridor and into the man. "How dare you, sir" he says to Dickens. "This is my house!"

   "Shut up!" Dickens responds.

   "I told you!" the man says to the women.

   In the chapel of the Rest (Y/N) is screaming, "Let me out! Somebody open the door! Open the door!" the man corpse grabs her. Then the Doctor kicks the door in.

   "I think this is my dance," the Doctor says grabbing her waist leaving his hand there.

   "It's a prank. It must be. We're under some mesmeric influence," Dickens speaks up.

   "No, we're not. The dead are walking. Hi," the Doctor says smiling at (Y/N) as she catches her breath.

   "Hi. Who's your friend?" she says, looking at Dickens.

   "Charles Dickens."

   "Okay," she says breathlessly.

   "My name's the Doctor. Who are you, then? What do you want?"

   "Failing. Open the rift. we're dying. Trapped in this form. Cannot sustain. Help us! Argh!" the male corpse speaks with several voices.