Aliens of London

CHAPTER 18| THIS PLACE ISN'T DOMESTIC

   "All right, so I lied. We went and had a look. But the whole crash landing's a fake. I thought so. Just too perfect. I mean, hitting Big Ben. Come on, so I thought let's go and have a look," (Y/N) says not looking up from the screen in front of her.

"My mum's here," Rose says to the two Time Lords who were standing in front of the screen.

"Oh, that's just what I need. Don't you dare make this place domestic," the Doctor says.

"You ruined my life, Doctor. They thought she was dead. I was a murder suspect because of you," Mickey says.

"You see what I mean? Domestic."

"I bet you don't even remember my name."

"Ricky."

"It's Mickey," (Y/N) and Mickey say at the same time.

"No, it's Ricky."

"I think I know my own name."

"You think you know your own name? How stupid are you?"

"Doctor!" (Y/N) says scolding him.

"Mum, don't! Don't go anywhere. Don't start a fight!" Rose says running out after her mother. " Mum, it's not like that. He's not. I'll be up in a minute. Hold on!" She runs back into the TARDIS. "That was a real spaceship."

"Yep."

"So it's all a pack of lies? What is it, then? Are they invading?"

"Funny way to invade, putting the world on red alert," Mickey says from behind (Y/N) and the Doctor.

"Good point! So, what're they up to?" (Y/N) asks.

"So, what're you doing down there?" Mickey asks the Doctor who is now under the TARDIS floor board working on the console.

"Ricky-" the Doctor says.

"Mickey."

"Ricky. If I was to tell you what I was doing to the controls of my frankly magnificent time ship, would you even begin to understand?"

"I suppose not."

"Well, shut it, then," the Doctor goes back to work and (Y/N) walks over crouching down talking to the Doctor as Rose and Mickey start talking.

"Some friend you've got."

"He's winding you up. I am sorry," Rose says.

"Okay."

"I am, though."

"Every day, I looked. On every street corner, wherever I went, looking for a blue box for a whole year."

"It's only been a few days for me. I don't know. It's, it's hard to tell inside this thing but I swear it's just a few days since I left you."

"Not enough time to miss me, then?"

"I did miss you."

"I missed you."

"So, er, in twelve months, have you been seeing anyone else?"

"No."

"Okay."

"Mainly because everyone thinks I murdered you."

"Right."

"So, now that you've come back, are you going to stay?"

"Got it! Ha, ha! Patched in the radar, looped it back twelve hours so we can follow the flight of that spaceship. Here we go. Hold on. Come on," the Doctor says, (Y/N) helps him up and they go to the monitor. "That's the spaceship on its way to Earth, see? Except. Hold on. See? The spaceship did a sling shot round the Earth before it landed."

"What does that mean?" Rose asks.

"It means it came from Earth in the first place. It went up and came back down. Whoever those aliens are, they haven't just arrived, they've been here for a while. The question is, what have they been doing?" (Y/N) says.

"How many channels do you get?" Mickey asks.

"All the basic packages," (Y/N) replies.

"You get sports channels?"

"Yes, I get football. Hold on, I know that lot," (Y/N) points to the people on the screen. "UNIT. United Nations Intelligence Taskforce. Good people."

"How do you know them?"

" 'Cos they've worked for them. Oh yeah, don't think I sat on my backside for twelve months, (Y/N). I read up on you and the Doctor. You look deep enough on the Internet or in the history books, and there's they're name, followed by a list of the dead," Mickey says.

"That's nice. Good boy, Ricky," the Doctor says.

"If you know them, why don't you go and help?"

"They wouldn't recognize us. We've changed a lot since the old days. Besides, the world's on a knife-edge. There's aliens out there and fake aliens. We want to keep these aliens out of the mix. We're going undercover. And er, I'd better keep the TARDIS out of sight. Ricky, you've got a car. You can do some driving," the Doctor says.

"Where to?" Mickey asks.

"The roads are clearing. Let's go and have a look at that spaceship," the Doctor looks to (Y/N) getting confirmation. They all walk out of the TARDIS and straight into a helicopter spotlight.

"Do not move! Step away from the box and raise your hands above your heads." Mickey runs and Jackie comes out of the block of flats. Soldiers grab Jackie stopping her from running to Rose. Mickey hides behind some dustbins and the soldiers run straight past him. "Raise your hands about your head. You are under arrest." They raise their hands.

"Take me to your leader!" (Y/N) says.

"This is a bit posh. If I knew it was going to be like this, being arrested, I would have done it years ago," Rose says getting into the police car where (Y/N) and the Doctor are.

"We're not being arrested, we're being escorted," the Doctor says smiling.

"Where to?"

"Where'd you think? Downing Street," (Y/N) says.

"You're kidding!"

"I'm not."

"10 Downing Street?"

"That's the one."

"Oh, my God. I'm going to 10 Downing Street? How come?"

"I hate to say it, but Mickey was right. Over the years we've visited this planet a lot of times, and we've been, er, noticed."

"Now they need you?"

"Like it said on the news. They're gathering experts in alien knowledge. And who's the biggest expert of the lot?"

"Patrick Moore?"

"Apart from him."

"Oh, don't you just love it."

"I'm telling you. Lloyd George, he used to drink me under the table. Who's Prime Minister now?" The Doctor says.

" How should I know? I missed a year."