Chapter 20 - Revolutionary

We sat on the cart and were dragged through the forest for hours

We sat on the cart and were dragged through the forest for hours. Dawn was approaching when we finally came to a stop at a large clearing. Several tents were pitched up high and a dying fire was in the centre. We were pulled down from the carts and thrown on our knees before, what could only be called, the tribe.

"And what do we have here?" A young man asked. He strolled out of the largest tent and squatted before James and I.

"A pretty face and her lame servant?" He asked with a grin. He ran his fingers down the side of my face and I resisted the urge to bite him.

"We are none of your concern," James said to him, keeping his voice steady. The man shook his head.

"You two are spotted in the forest for the first time hours after Riterons dragon came back in almost two decades. Do you really expect me to believe that you are no one?" I gulped and swallowed hard. I was at a loss for words and he knew it, his grin stretching across his face. Then, out of nowhere, James started laughing.

It was a big belly clutching, side splitting laugh. He was doubled over, tears pricking the corner of his eyes.

"You think we had something to do with the dragon?" He asked "you must all be more ridiculous than I thought-"

"Enough!" The man said, grabbing James by the jaw "you will answer my questions, or your mute lass here will be punished." As he said those words I was dragged from my spot on the ground and tied to a tree. I kicked out at the man in front of me and smiled when he doubled over.

"Ah, the little lady has some fight," the man said and grinned at James.

"Im not a 'little lady'," I spat and he turned his attention to me.

"Then, who, pray tell, are you?" He asked, voice barely louder than a whisper and he slowly stalked towards me.

I looked to James and he shook his head violently and I looked back to the man before me.

"Answer my question and I will tell you the truth." I said and I heard James' heavy sigh. The man chuckled, but motioned for me to continue.

"Why do you all live out here instead of closer to the kingdoms?" I asked. His smile dropped though there was still a malicious gleam in his eyes.

"You clearly aren't from around here if you dont already know." He thoughtfully stroked my cheek, free hand on the tree above me.

"We, are bandits, revolutionaries, call us what you will. We despise who sits upon the throne, so we live out here until something can be done about it."

"Who sits upon the throne?" I asked. The man wagged his finger in my face.

"You have to answer my question first."

"Please," I said, looking him straight in the eye.

"Magnus," he replied, as he stepped back from me, my heart thundering so loud he could probably still here it. "So, m'lady, who are you?" He asked.

I looked to James one more time, but a different look was in his eye. These people want what we want, it said. He gave me a small nod and I turned back to the tribe of people who seemed to anxious to have my answer.

"20 years ago, Marcus started his uprising against the Kingdoms of this land. He slaughtered millions amd left you all for dead. 18 years ago a daughter was born to the Kig and Queen of Riteron, by the name of Sapphire," I stopped for a second. My audience was quiet.

"I remember that," one man spoke up from the back "my wife was a palace servant, she saw the baby once. They said someone fled from the castle with her but Marcus sent men after her. Shes as good as dead," he said and some of the people around him agreed.

I tilted my head in James' direction "he was the man your wife saw leaving the castle," whispers started up at once.

"And you?" Asked the man in charge, though I could see he already knew the answer.

"I was the baby."

Chatter broke out amongst the camp, some people not believing a word I said and others asking for me to be released.

"How did you survive all these years outside of the palace?" One woman asked. She had a scar running down her jaw and burn marks on her arms.

"The dragons," I said quietly. I had never seen scars like that. The worst injury I had seen was scrapes and bruises.

"What dragons? I've only ever seen one!" Another man yelled from the back.

"Im not at liberty to tell you that," I said, safeguarding the only family I had ever known "nor will I tell you any time soon."

"So, how do we know you tell the truth? You two could be anybody with a wonderful story created from a few whispers in the trees," he pointed out. I looked to James and he stood up deftly, even with his hands tied.

"I am Sir James Valant, I was the most decorated Knight in Riteron, having served both King Darius and his father." James stood tall and proud, and I could see the semblance of the Knight he once was.

"Is there anyone here who can vouch for this man?" The leader said, looking carefully at his people.

I was ready to accept defeat when a small old man came forward. He walked slow, painful steps to the front of the crowd.

"Show me that leg boy," he croaked "my James carved my initials on his leg," he told us nodding his head.

James' grin stretched from ear to ear as he turned around. The old man hitched up his pant leg and there on his leg, the letters AT were scratched in.

"Thats my boy!" The old man laughed and James turned as the small man embraced him.

"Anthony, you old fool," James sighed, his broken spirit mending. I looked up to the leader who nodded to one of his men.

"If Anthony say its true, I believe him," our ropes were cut and he held out his hand to me.

"The name is Dominic, welcome to the revolution, princess."

We have reached 1000 reads!!!!

Im so proud of myself and Im so glad I have such amazing readers who are always coming back for more.

In celebration, I want to dedicate this chapter to nerdgeekotaku7 for always voting and commenting on my story and answering my many questions. I really do appreciate it.

See you all tomorrow,

Love, Orange

XxXx