Chapter 22 - Surprise

"Why on Earth are you here?!" I heard James yelling

"Why on Earth are you here?!" I heard James yelling. There was a deep grumble as the table creaked. Leaping over bushes and logs I ran and stumbled upon the least expected scene.

"Sapphire, darling!" Eron cooed. He shook off some bushes and I sighed, falling back onto my seat.

Cherry broke through the trees next, bow drawn. Noticing the bow Eron growled at her, orange scales shimmering.

"Relax, both of you," I said beckoning Cheery to come sit by me.

"You know this beast?" She asked and I nodded.

"This beast has a name," Eron added. She looked to him, surprised he had spoken to her directly.

"And what would your name be?" Dominic asked. He was uncomfortable with the situation but was doing his best to adjust.

"Eron," he beamed, baring his teeth to the new humans. I sighed and stood up.

"Why are you here, Eron?" I asked.

"Because you need help," he said bluntly. I'm here to help, promise.

"Where is Taurus, did he make it back?" He nodded and I relaxed a little.

"When he came back and told us Soria was missing, there was an uproar amongst the dragons. We've always been at war with the rogues but they took it too far this time by taking 'one of their own'" he told me. I raised an eyebrow at his strange quotation.

"What are rogues?" Aiden asked before I could question it.

"Where I was raised, the dragons live by a code. If they bond with a human and become companions, they do not abuse the powers that come with that bond. Rogue dragons are known for forcefully bonding to humans to drain them of their life force in order to become stronger. The misuse of these delicate but powerful energies makes them very dark creatures." Eron was, for once, very serious as he spoke. The others looked thoughtful as they took it all in.

James sat down heavily, remembering his lost companion.

"We'll find her James, I promise," I told him placing my hand on his shoulder.

"I guess you didn't understand my warning then," Eron snorted. I looked up at him, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you think its a little strange that the rogues knew where you were going? That they intercepted you on route? Even the fact that they knew you were a princess before you did?"

Do not trust who does not speak

"What are you saying, Eron?" James asked, anger bubbling to the surface.

"'Do not trust who does not speak'," I said quietly "Soria?" Eron nodded quietly.

"She is not a traitor!" James said loudly. He stood up and walked away, storming through the bushes.

"He cant lose anything else," I said quietly "he wont be able to take it."

"Was Soria his dragon companion?" Cherry asked, sitting next to me. I nodded and leant against her shoulder.

"Do you have a companion?" Dominic asked Eron.

"Heavens no," Eron told him haughtily "I'm much too powerful, you humans wouldn't be able to stand it."

Dominic rolled his eyes but stepped closer to Eron, inslecting his scales and mane.

"May I?" He asked raising a hand. In turn, Eron lowered his snout and Dominic ran his hand down it. I heard his sharp intake of breath, no doubt feeling the energy surging within the dragon.

"I like this one, keep him," Eron told me with a sly grin.

"Shut up," I threw a small pebble at him tried to hide my blush "Eron can read minds, by the way."

"Does Taurus know?" I was suddenly worried at what Taurus would do when he found out his closest and most trusted friend was the enemy. Pain flashed in Erons eyes.

"The devestation he brings upon her and the rogues will be catastrophic."

I pushed aside the thoughts I didn't want him to see and sat up straight.

"So, can you help us with our plan or what?"

"Of course I can, your half baked plan will get you all killed," Eron said smugly.

"And what's your great plan?" Aiden asked.

"I, am a master of disguise," he said. He tilted his head and bushes and vines grew over his large body, blending him into the shrubbery.

"He can manipulate life forces too," I explained as the other three watched on in amazement.

I turned as they peppered Eron with questions and took off at a jog to catch up with James. It didn't take me long to find him sitting on a tree stump in a small clearing. I sat on the ground besides him, laying my head on his knee.

He twirled my loose curls gently between his fingers as we sat in silence.

"She was supposed to be closer to me than any other being in the universe," he said quietly, my heart broke at the utter despair in his voice.

"You still have me and Tamina, even Taurus likes you," I said quietly, kicking myself as I said it.

"I know, but being betrayed like that is a pain I hope you may never go through." I sat up and looked at him.

"This is all my fault."

"How can this be your fault?" James asked, confused.

"The bonding ceremony," I reminded him. He cupped a hand under my chin and made me look him in the eye.

"Sapphire, the events of that day were horrible, yes, but you are not to blame for the power within your body. The bonding ceremony carries risks for everyone, Soria knew that. She insisted on doing the ceremony with me, I refuse to let you take any blame for what happened to her." I nodded and sat back.

"You may not blame me, James, but maybe she does," I said.

"Well then shes an even bigger fool than I thought. I wish I could renounce my bond with her right now," he said bitterly.

I stood up and wrapped my arms around James, hugging him close to my chest.

"Once this is all over, we'll see that it is done and you can start over," I said softly. Nodding he wrapped his arms around me and squeezed gently.

"I raised you pretty good, kid."

I laughed and punched his arm lightly.

"Hell yeah, you did."

A little touchy feely in this chapter. My poor James has been through enough already.

I was thinking to do a chapter or so from Taurus' POV, any thoughts???

See you soon,

Orange

XxXx