eighteen

Badass

A knock on the door broke me out of my thoughts.

"It's open." I said looking up from the spot on the floor that I've been staring at for the last fifteen minutes.

The door opened revealing Bucky in full battle gear "Hi." he greeted me with a smile and closed the door behind him "I heard from Rhodey your time here went well."

"Yeah, yes it did." I said with a smile "I might actually be able to forgive myself now. I spoke to most of the people who I hurt physically that day" I paused remembering one last person I need to face one on one "except Steve. I still need to actually talk about it with him. I think I hurt him more than physically."

"Wow, good job." Bucky said with a smile.

I shot him a confused-slash-annoyed look.

"No I didn't mean it like that." he explained with a chuckle "I meant like, you figured it out. You finally realised that he cares more than anyone here." he said "Well, except me, of course."

"I didn't say that." I still looked at him with a confused expression plastered on my face.

"Sure, you didn't, but, you know... You got that, right?" he said rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Surrrre?" I said squinting my eyes at him.

"Okay, um." he said quickly, glancing at the watch on the wall "I should get going. I need to get out of this smelly clothing and take a shower." he got up from the chair he's been sitting on and opened the door "Er- bye." he quickly waved and closed the door behind him.

I should've figured out by now that Steve cares the most is what he said? Well, I did but... I never ever saw Bucky act like that around me. My superspy senses are telling me something is way off.

I acted immediately, trusting my gut. I got out of my room, slowly and quietly walking towards the living room, where I assumed Bucky went. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but as I came closer to my destination, I heard voices aggressively whispering from one of the rooms on my left. It was Steve's.

"You were supposed to make it easier for him! The man was sweating it before and you just made it worse, man!" I heard Sam's voice from the room.

"I know! I got nervous!" Bucky admitted "It was never going to work anyways, we never had talks like that. Ever!"

"You are her best friend for God's sake!" Sam made his point clearer.

"Sure, I am, but I don't think her and I have the same definition of being best friends as you do!" Bucky defended his point too.

"Guys, stop." Steve finally spoke up "I'm just going to talk to her."

"You are just gonna talk to An?" Sam asked him.

"Good luck, pal." Bucky said with a pat on the back.

After that came a few moments of silence which made me realise at least one of them will leave the room pretty soon. And with the hallway being long and straight, I had nowhere to hide and no time to get to my room. So I did the next thing my superspy mind came up with.

"Hey is B- oh, Buck, you are here." I said as I entered the room with the door already open "Um- I was just looking for you because you forgot your hair tie in my room" I lied motioning to the band on my wrist "and I know you don't like the hair in your face so, here." I said smiling and handing him the hair tie that was...mine.