thirty seven

The Battle Of New York

There we were. The Avengers. Walking towards our very own Quantum Time Machine. Looking like a band walking onto stage. Except we were wearing Quantum Suits and walking towards a time machine to save half of the living creatures of the universe who were already turned to dust by a big purple monster. But you get my point.

Tony told me, earlier today after he woke up, that I should prepare a speech. "You should say something Steve would say", he said. Because he wasn't there to say it and nobody else was a speech kind of person like he was. Truth is, neither was I. Nobody could really do it like he did. But Tony then said I would make Steve proud by doing it. He knew what making Steve proud meant to me, he knew I would prepare a speech after he mentioned that. And I knew he knew. But I also knew he was right.

We stood in the middle of the glass platform, in a circle. Everybody was looking around themselves, looking at the faces of the people risking their lives with them to save more lives.

"Five years ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends... We lost family... We lost a part of ourselves." I sighed "Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs. Be careful. Look out for each other. And if you feel like you can't do it, take a breath and do it. Because this is the only chance we get to get our loved ones back." I looked everyone in the eye as I paused "Whatever it takes. Good luck." I gulped and looked over to Tony.

"You're pretty good at it too." he said with a smile.

"Pfff..." Scott nodded "Yeah."

"Alright, you heard her." Tony said "Stroke those keys, jolly green."

"Tractors engaged." Bruce replied.

"You promise to bring that back in one piece, right?" Rocket asked, motioning to a shrunk Benatar in Clint's hand.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay. I'll do my best." Clint nodded.

Rocket sighed "As promises go, that was pretty lame."

Natasha chuckled and looked over to me "See you in a minute."

And off we went.

Tony, Scott, Bruce and I materialised in between two buildings, just next to the original six Avengers who were fighting a bunch of Chitauri in the middle of the streets. It was the Battle of New York. I only heard stories but, oh boy, those guys packed some big guns.

"All right, we all have our assignments." I said, pointing out that we should get moving.

"Two Stones uptown, one Stone down." Tony said "Stay low. Keep an eye on the clock."

Bruce nodded and went down the street to get the Time Stone from the Ancient One.

Scott, Tony and I got ready for action. I was supposed to be a Hydra agent, which I was at one point so I wasn't exactly nervous. Scott however, he was shaking.

He was also rambling at full speed "Are you sure this is going to work? Because the Pym..." 

"Scott, please. Calm down." I shot him a glare and walked out of the alley and to the Stark Tower. It really did look magnificent.

As I was about to walk in, I saw Tony flying around Stark Tower in the Mark 85. He scanned the interior of the tower and soon I heard him in my earpiece "Things look like they're just about wrapped up here, An."

"Copy that." I answered  "I'm approaching the elevator now."

"Oh, Cap..." I heard Tony again.