forty one

The Final Sacrifice

I turned to my left in a heartbeat only to see a yellow glowing portal opening up behind me. It was Strange.

Three figures steped out through the the portal: Okoye, Shuri and T'Challa. I sighed in relief.

Sam flew out of the same portal in his Falcon suit. As I followed him with my eyes, I noticed dozens more portals opening up. Through one of those, Strange descended in, joined by Drax, Mantis, Star Lord and Peter. Through the others came in heroes from all around the world including the Wakandan army, Valkyrie and the Asgardians, Wong and the Masters of the Mystic Arts and several Ravager ships. Pepper was there too, in her own suit. I noticed Groot, Wanda and Hope come in from one. Behind them walked out Bucky and...Steve.

Steve hurried out, looking around frantically until our eyes met. He then visibly sighed in relief and jogged over to stand next to me. My eyes watered again as I put my hand on his cheek, caressing the face I missed so much, just to make sure he was real.

"I missed you." I simply said. He nodded and kissed my forehead "I'm here now. Lets fight. We'll have plenty of time to talk after we win." he said.

"Lets do it." I heard from behind. I turned around to see Bucky. We exchanged a smile and a few pats on the shoulders. We'll hug it out once the battle is over.

Our reunion was interrupted by Ant-Man emerging from the rubble of the HQ with Bruce, Rhodey and Rocket on the palm of his hand.

Now that everybody was here, including Thor and Tony, ready to fight, Steve stretched out his hand and I followed it in confusion.

When Mjolnir came flying to him, I was even more confused.

"The son of a bitch could do it the entire time." I heard Thor from the crowd.

I chuckled and looked at Steve who obviously had something epic to say.

"Avengers!" he shouted "Assemble."

Thor made a loud battle cry, as did T'Challa and his warriors, and all the heroes charged. Thanos raised his sword towards us, commanding his army to charge as well. Both armies collided on the battlefield, fighting each for their own beliefs.

I could tell you all about the fight stuff, but where's the fun in that? We punched, kicked and shot at each other. No fun talking about that.

When we first made contact with Thanos' army, I fought his aliens one by one or two at a time. They came in in groups on one person, probably because they were just looking to attack the first enemy they saw, but I still killed them only a few at once. 

That kind of tactic was more familiar and comfortable for me. I was still kind of scared of using my powers since I have used them more for bad than for good before. I just wasn't sure I could control them. I feel like I said that a hundred times already: bad things, no control... It just seems to repeat itself.

As time passed and the fight continued, I learned a few tricks and took down bigger guys or more smaller ones. My confidence and precision of the energy I used to fight grew and so did the number of aliens I killed.

In a short break, while there was no one attacking me, I fixed my earpiece which was damaged in battle, just to make sure I don't miss anything. As soon as I did so, I heard Steve talking.

"Anyone see an ugly, brown van up there?" he asked. 

"Yes!" I heard Valkyrie shout above me "But you're not gonna like where it's parked!"

"Scott, how long you need to get that thing working?" Tony asked.

"Maybe ten minutes." Scott answered.