thirty five

This Was Me

"All right. I'm not ready for this" Scott said. We were all standing on the platform, waiting for that one test run. Hoping it would be successful.

"I'm game. I'll do it." Clint said walking onto the platform, already in the Quantum Suit. He was determined and...ready to die if it came to that.

Bruce turned to face him "Clint, now you're gonna feel a little discombobulated from the chronoshift. Don't worry about it." he said as the rest of us walked to the control station and Clint took his position on the platform.

"W-Wait a second, let me ask you something." Rhodey rose his hand "If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos, you know, and..." he said, makeing a hand gesture suggesting that we strangle baby Thanos with a rope.

"First of all, that's horrible..." Bruce said, obviously disgusted by Rhodey's comment.

Rhodey scoffed "It's Thanos."

"And secondly, time doesn't work that way." Bruce added "Changing the past doesn't change the future."

"Look, we go back, we get the stones before Thanos gets them..." Scott then pitched his idea "Thanos doesn't have the stones. Problem solved."

"Bingo." Clint pointed at Scott.

"That's not how it works." Nebula repeated Bruce's words.

"Well, that's what I heard." Clint shrugged.

"What? By who? Who told you that?" Bruce asked, almost angry at Clint for believing, well, movies.

"Star Trek, Terminator, TimeCop, Time After Time -" Rhodey counted on his fingers.

"Quantum Leap -" Scott added.

"A Wrinkle in Time, Somewhere in Time -" Rhodey continued.

"What are you even doing right now I-" I looked at them in confusion.

"Hot Tub Time Machine -"

"Hot Tub Time Machine. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Basically, any movie that deals with time travel." Rhodey finished.

"Die Hard? No, it's not that one..." Scott was deep in his thoughts.

"This is known." Rhodey stated.

"I don't know why everyone believes that, but that isn't true." Bruce continued with his theory "Think about it: If you travel to the past, that past becomes your future. And your former present becomes the past. Which can't now be changed by your new future..."

"Exactly." Nebula nodded.

"So... Back To The Future's a bunch of bullshit?" Scott asked, clearly hurt.

How are we supposed to save the universe, again?

Bruce just sighed and turned to Clint "Ready? Alright, Clint. We're going in 3... 2... 1!"

A white helmet similar to Ant-Man's pops on Clint's head and he goes quantum. And in just a few seconds, Bruce brings him back. He rematerialised on the platform, breathing heavily, sitting on the floor, baseball glove in hand.

"Hey, hey. Look at me." Nat immediately ran up to him "You okay?"

"Yeah, it worked." Clint said and threw the glove to Tony "It worked."

"What now?" Scott asked looking around.

"Now we just need a plan." I sighed.

We were soon in the meeting room, with a wall full off holograms showcasing each of the six Infinity Stones. Most of us sat around the table while Tony and Bruce paced in the front, exchanging a few words from time to time.