thirty eight

The Problems Of Today

I walked out of the Stark Tower and made my way to the alley we materialised in. I didn't see Tony and Scott at first and it really scared me. But then I saw them, sitting in a broken car, which didn't really make my fear fo away.

"Sorry, yeah. We got a– problem." Tony said, resting his head on his hand.

"A problem?" I repeated "What do you mean by that?"

"No Tesseract for us." Scott said.

"Well, what are we gonna do now?" I asked "I assume you thought about how to fix the problem?"

"You know what? Give me a break. I just got hit in the head with the Hulk." Tony said.

"A break?" I checked if I heard him right "You want a break...now? This might've been our only shot, Tony. And if we don't come up with something soon, it will be our only shot that you oh so screwed up. So please, think and lets fix the problem. Now." I said, I didn't want to yell at him, but damn was I angry. Everything did go off rails as soon as I wished that it didn't.

"You said that we had one shot. This– this was our shot. We shot it. It's shot. Six stones or nothing. Six stones or nothing–" Scott started rambling out of fear again as he got out of the car.

"You're repeating yourself, you know that? You're repeating yourself." Tony said as he too got out of the car.

"You're repeating yourself. You're repeating yourself. You know– No."

"Dude, come on."

"You never wanted a time heist, you went on board with the time heist–"

"I dropped the ball."

"You ruined the time heist."

"Is that what I did?"

"Yeah!"

"Guys, stop." I stopped them before it got out of hand "Are there any other options with the Tesseract?"

Scott looked at me like I just killed his hamster "No, no, no. There's no other options. There's no do-overs. We're not going anywhere else. We have one particle left. Each. That's it, alright? We use that– Bye, bye. You're not going home."

"Yeah, well if we don't try, people we lost won't get to go home either." I said.

I looked at Tony, he was deep in his thoughts and I knew soon enough he would save the day.

"I got it." he said "There's another way. To retake the Tesseract and acquire new particles. We'll stroll down memory lane. Military installation, Garden State."

"When were they both there?" I asked, excited and happy, really, that we might actually get another shot at this.

"They were there at a– I have a vaguely exact idea." Tony said, still thinking about it.

"How vague?" I wondered. I could except a day or two worth of vague, but not really a month or a year.

"What are you talking about? Where are we going?" Scott asked, frantically looked between Tony and I.

"I know for a fact they were there–" Tony continued, still very much deep in his thoughts.

"Who's they? What are we doing?" Scott asked again.

"And I know how I know." Tony was still going.

Scott was still trying to understand the situation "Guys, what's up? What is it?"