xiv. | soft goodbyes

IT HAD BEEN TWO DAYS since Carl was declared shot and one day since the group on the highway arrived at the Greene Farm, and one day since Shane returned with the medical supplies the Greene family needed for Carl, but he returned alone

Shane told everyone that Hershel's friend, Otis, was dead. Otis was the man he went with to save Carl. Shane told the Greene family Otis sacrificed himself to get Carl those supplies did save the boys life.

When Ella and the others arrived, everyone made introductions and got to know the Greene families names and such.

Patricia, Otis' supposed wife, was clearly having a very hard time accepting that Otis was gone from this world, which made Ella feel sad for the blond woman.

Ella was glad that her father had made it back alive from that place he got the supplies from. Ella didn't want to lose the only real family she had left in this awful world.

A large amount of rocks were piled on Otis' grave underneath a big oak tree, a spot he apparently liked the most on the farm.

"Blessed be God, father of our Lord. Jesus Christ," Hershel Greene began as everyone else moved into a circle around the burial. "Praise be to him for the gift of our brother, Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset," Jimmy walked up to the grave with his hat in hand, grabbing a stone. He walked up to Otis' grave and placed it on top before returning to Beth's side.

Ella stood beside her father to comfort him, her hand on his arm, and rubbing large circles as he stared at the small funeral being held for Otis. Ella looked at Hershel Greene as he continued speaking. "We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in Grace," Hershel turned his gaze to Shane. "Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

Shane stood there quietly. Ella's hand dropped from her father's arm, her eyes staring at Shane. He looked like he was still in shock, his face had gone pale and he wasn't moving. When he finally spoke, he tumbled over his words.

"I'm not good at it," Shane shook his head and lowered it. "I'm sorry."

"You were the last one with him." Patricia spoke up, her voice cracking. Ella's heart completely dropped as her voice cracked. "You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning."

Shane hesitated, his face draining of any and all color. Ella leaned up and whispered in his ear, telling him that this family needed to hear his final words for they needed to find themselves some closure. Shane gave her a firm nod, slowly stumbling towards Otis' grave.

"Okay," Shane nodded. "We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up," His eyes flickered to the grave as they all watched him intently. "We've got to save the boy. See, that's what he said," His voice cracked. "He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead."

Shane limped closer to the grave. "'Run', he said. He said, 'I'll take the rear. I'll cover you'," He glanced over at Patricia, who started sobbing, then back to the grave. "And when I looked back. . ." He trailed off. "If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his." He picked up a rock and placed it atop of his grave, quickly stepping away after.

Once the funeral was over, Ella and Shane were the first ones to have walked away from the scene and away from everyone else to get away from them so they wouldn't have to look at the facial expressions everyone gave them.

Ella knew how Patricia felt, she knew what it was like to lose a loved one. She watched her mother and a few friends die before her eyes, so she was no stranger to losing someone she loved.

But Ella couldn't imagine what it was like losing a husband for she didn't even have one nor did she think she ever would have a husband. She didn't think she ever would because this world was violent and crazy. She did hope she could find herself a husband one day though.

Before her and Shane walked inside the RV, Ella gave one last look at the Greene family lingering by the grave, all of them in grief and pain.