xxvii. | mere luck

"READY?" Hershel questioned the group

"READY?" Hershel questioned the group. They were going in to kill the rest of the walkers Rick chained up the day before. They needed to get inside the prison. Everyone would feel better if they had a roof over their heads, Ella knew she definitely would feel much safer.

The group — Rick, Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, T-Dog, and Ella — followed each other past the gate, their weapons at the ready to slash at the walkers. Hershel closed the gate behind them, causing Ella to grip her knives tighter as they got closer to the undead, while the others who were staying behind were smacking their hands on the gates to lure some away from the group who were in harm's way.

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, as stated by Edward Murphy in Murphy's Law.

Ella slashed at a walker, the blade sticking into their head, before she pulled it out. She stepped over the body, eyes lingering on Glenn pushing a walker to the ground. She turned away and plunged her dagger into another walker.

The group formed a circle and killed walkers left and right until they reached a door.

Rick peered over the wall and hit his back against the same wall. "Shit! Get back. Get back." Ella got up against the wall, breathing heavily.

There were two particular walkers that caught Ella off guard. They were wearing body armor. The same ones the S.W.A.T team would wear when infiltrating a bank after someone took control of it and kept a dozen or two people hostage. Then two more appeared out of nowhere.

Daryl aimed his crossbow at one and shot an arrow, only for it to fall short once it hit the face shield. Ella's eyes grew wide for she had not a clue what to do. She stepped back as T-Dog and Rick were trying to shove back the two walkers with body armor on their bodies.

"Daryl!" Rick and Daryl dashed over to a gate and locked it shut before a new wave of walkers could make their way through and overwhelm the small group of survivors. It closed off the rest of the prison. . . for now.

Maggie suddenly grabbed one of the uniformed walkers head and shoved her knife upwards. She looked over to Ella with a huge smile. "Ella, look! Lift the helmet and stab the neck. Try it on the other one."

Ella slowly nodded. Lift and stab, she thought to herself. Ella walked over to T-Dog and grabbed the walker he held back by the throat, clenching it, before she lifted the helmet and punched her knife through the rotting, tender skin.

Everyone else who noticed what they did copied their moves on the last two walkers in armor.

Ella turned to Maggie, smiling. They immediately high-fived each other for what they discovered about the helmet walkers. They were simply excited they thought of it before anyone else could.