xxiv. | the greene farm downfall

WHEN ELLA WALKED OVER TO THE WINDOWSILL WITH CARL, she noticed two figures in the field staring each other off

WHEN ELLA WALKED OVER TO THE WINDOWSILL WITH CARL, she noticed two figures in the field staring each other off. Panic rose in her chest as she decided to pull Carl into her side for something bad had happened to someone or to whoever was laid in the field.

"Is that my dad and Shane?" Carl quickly asked when they pulled away.

"No, I don't think it's them, Carl." Ella looked at Carl with worry visible in her eyes.

"I think it is." Carl pointed out.

Ella shook his head. "It could be. . . walkers, it could be anything!"

"I don't care!" Carl shouted. Ella stared out the window again. "Can we go check to see if they're alright. . . please?" Carl asked as Ella thought of the consequences.

"It could've been two walkers." Ella sighed.

"But it looks like they're talking." Carl stated.

The young woman shook her head. "I-I-I don't know if we should check it out. Your dad and mine told us to stay here with everyone. . . and no one is gonna let us go," Ella paused. Her eyes fluttered down and she let out a deep sigh. "What if it's too dangerous and we find a walker? We don't have any weapon or any gun." Ella told him.

Carl walked closer to Ella, his eyes and voice pleading. "I have a gun," he pulled out the gun his father gave him. "Can we please go out there and find your dad and my dad and make sure they're alright, and they're not hurt or anything?"

Ella sighed.

Carl frowned. "If you knew it was your dad hurt you'd go out there, but you don't know, so what if he got hurt, or they ran into Randall or one of his men and killed Randall or his men and they're arguing again?"

Ella glanced over to a frightened Carl and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, she gave him one simple nod and grabbed his hand. She dropped her voice down to a whisper, gripping his hand. "We'll have to sneak out, be quick and quiet." Ella whispered.

Carl held his gun tighter and nodded in a small agreement. "You don't think they'll know we left. . . or well, my mom will know? I don't want her to get mad at us."

"I think even if she did find out. . . she would forget and forgive because we would have Rick and everyone else." Ella smiled, shrugging her shoulders.

Carl nodded his head.

"Now, if we see a walker. . . shoot it," she paused. "Even if it's someone we know. We can't. . . we can't let them infect us. It'd kill Lori, Rick, my dad and everyone else we know and cherish."

Glenn.

Oh, god, what if I do die and I have to leave Glenn, Ella thought. Would he seek revenge?

Ella widened her eyes. The last thing the group would need if she died was Glenn taking revenge on walkers, Randall or Randall's men, same with Shane. She had to make sure she nor Carl died under any circumstance. Especially Carl, he was only a little boy. He wouldn't deserve to die. So, Ella was going to protect him with her life.