Chapter 3

The weather had been fine when they had left but it was getting worse with every passing second now. The sky was dark, covered with black clouds. It looked like it was going to rain any minute.

"Where the hell is that damned castle you talked about?" Claire said, fumming with anger.

"Hey Babe, Chill. According to the directions that local gave me, it should be just 5 minutes away from here."

That was Duke. Claire's Boyfriend.

"Here WHERE???"

Just at that moment, the lightening struck and they saw a dark shadow of a castle on top of the hill. Excitement swarm through them as they looked at each other, ready to explore the mythical castle lost in time.

They could see the iron gates guarding the lost property from a distance. Panting heavily, they finally reached the gates. It would have been a beauty in its previous years, now covered with vines, in this dark weather, It looked like something straight out of a horror movie.

"Fu*k." Duke cursed, as a water droplet hit his cheek.

Starting out as a light shower, It turned to a heavy downpour in minutes. They were soaked to the bone in no time. Going back didn't seem like an option anymore.

Caleb, their second male companion, grabbed the iron bars and walked through the gates. Others followed.

They were silent as they walked towards the main doors. The main door had intricate patterns drawn on it. A beautiful representation of the Old English Architure.

They pushed it open. The door opened with a creaking sound.

"God. Just another sign." Claire was clearly irritated with this castle-exploring idea.

"I'm telling you. This is a very stupid idea. I don't want to be on the headlines as some dumb kid who got herself kild in the name of adventure."

Duke wrapped his arms arounds her, "Relax Babe."

"Get Away. It was your stupid idea anyway."

"How about I make it up to you tonight?" Duke said with a suggestive smirk.

"Sure. If we stay alive." With that, his smirk was gone.

Faith stood at the entrance of the castle staring at the beautiful interior. Despite being covered with dirt, It looked breathtaking. The chipped paints on the wall, broken wooden boards on the floor, nothing scared her. She felt like she was finally home. Suddenly the old lady's face came into her vision and she gasped.

"He'd be free."

"What happened?" It was Alex who asked this.

"Nothing. I just saw a spider."

"SPIDER! Duke, You're dying at my hands." Claire was glaring daggers at Duke.

"That's what you find in centuries old castles. Except for ghosts obviously." Caleb said while smiling playfully.

"Enough. We've come this far now. Let's explore this place." April was already climbing the huge staircase.

Faith was at the end of the group, lost in her own world. The castle looked very old. It had black marks here and there on the walls, like someone had tried burning it down.

But who would want to burn something so beautiful, she thought to herself. She touched the wall with her fingertips. A scene played before her eyes. A chained man burning in deep flames.

"No!"

She screamed and withdrew her hand immediately.

Everyone turned to look at her.

"Faith, Are you okay?" April asked with concern in her voice.

"Yes. I'm sorry. It just-" Claire stopped her midsentence.

"It's fine. We know that old lady incident left you shaken. We should've taken you to some nice place instead of this creepy castle."

Claire glared at Duke while he looked down like a poor kid being scolded by his parents.

"Look at this HUGE hall."

All the attention was now on Caleb who was standing at the entrance of some room.

Faith followed the group. Her eyes grew big as she saw the big hall room. Chandeliers hanging from the roof. The dusty red carpet in the middle, leading to a big throne on the top of the stairs. It was a throne room.

Suddenly the lightning striked and the giant glass windows helped it illuminate the room.

A big portrait was hanging from the wall behind the throne. A handsome man could be seen sitting in it, on the same throne they were standing before.

As if she were under a spell, Faith walked up to the portrait mesmerized. She dusted the lower part of it with her hand.

"Lord Ares King"