Chapter 33

Not really satisfied with the draft, but couldn't make you guys wait any longer 💙

Breath-robbing sobs wracked her entire body as her soft arms wrapped themselves around her torso in a failed attempt to cocoon her incessantly shivering frame. Her long tresses, freed from the previously tied bun, swayed side by side in a rhythmic manner casting a jet black curtain in front of her tear stricken face. Muffled whimpers had turned her throat raw and sore, contorting a mere action of swallowing into an exceedingly painful task.

'Water...'

After a moment, she raised her head, her fingers gripping the back of her hair as she took in a deep breath though her nostrils. The air exhaled out of her parted mouth blurred the quarter glass of the carriage, deforming the image it painted of their surroundings. Through her bloodshot eyes, she could hazily see the carriage plunging through indefinite darkness.

Letting her hair loose, her hand delved inside the drawer beneath her seat, trying to find something to satiate her thirst.

Following a bit of fumbling around, her fingers finally made contact with a cold glass surface. Gripping the neck of the bottle hastily, she took it out, wasting no time in bringing it to her mouth.

Loud gulping sounds soon filled her ears as tiny colourless droplets dripped down the side of her mouth as she voraciously chugged down the cool liquid.

'I'm not his original beloved...'

A coughing fit overtook her as soon as the unwanted thought struck her mind, causing her to separate the bottle away from her lips immediately.

Despite her objection, another sob broke out of her lips before she covered her mouth with the back of her hand to suppress it. Hot tears once again started dripping down her eyes onto the pale skin of her hand as she bit on her ring finger to avoid producing any other sound.

'I can't let Henry know. I can't afford to worry him anymore.'

She couldn't forget the astounded look on his face as she emerged out of the church with empty eyes, asking him to fetch the carriage right away.

"I shall fulfil my side of the deal. Your Ares will return to your side soon."

Her mind was able to vaguely register Gabriel's quiet remark whilst she was dragging her feet towards the doors of the church.

"The first female from our lineage who feeds the vampire her blood, turns into the beloved the vampire was robbed of."

Another whimper escaped out of her shivering lips, silenced by the assault caused to her finger by her clenched teeth.

Gabriel's words were haunting her. She couldn't shake the truth no matter how hard she tried to think about other things.

'I.. wasn't meant to be his. It only happened because the magic pulled me into a trance and convinced me to kiss him. He'd have never formed a bond with me otherwise.'

Her teeth were staring to chatter along with the wooden walls of the carriage that shook with every jerk produced by the horses' irrgeular movements.

Suddenly her mind went blank as a sharp pain shot up her spine, piercing numerous nerves on her back with small pricking needles, bringing out a strangled gasp out of her. She felt as if she were getting burnt and stabbed at the same time. Unbeknownst to her, her teeth had started digging deep inside the flesh of her finger, drawing blood that painted her trembling lips with a scarlet tinge.

'W-What's h-happening?'

Just as she thought it was getting better, another wave struck her, this time drawing a scream out of her.