29. the end of audrey's reign

"FGM?"

"FGM?"

"Oh my gosh. Hi, Mom. I don't know if you can hear me, but it's been a really crazy day. Everybody's under an evil spell. We're gonna figure out how to undo this. We'll find a way to make this right, Mom." Jane said after she, Gil, Baylee, and Doug found FGM on the steps of the museum.

"Alright. Let's get this Audrey chick taken care of already. What do you say, girls?—time to wrap things up?" Uma asked as she looked at Mal and Bella.

"Someday, you're gonna have to tell me how you guys all got teamed up." Ben said.

"Actually, Mal, Bella, and Carlos promised to let all the kids off the Isle once this is over." Evie said before Ben looked at the three.

"Guys?"

"I have to tell you guys something. We lied to you. The kids won't be coming off the Isle." Bella said after she and Mal turned around and looked at everyone.

"What do you mean?"

"The program is shut down and the barrier will be closed for good." Mal said.

"—for Auradon's safety." Carlos added.

"Hold up. So we're saving your precious people and your behinds for a lie? I knew it was a mistake to trust you two. You're always out for yourselves." Uma said after she walked over to the girls.

"—and you, King Benny, Prince De Vil, you're probably just gonna throw us all back inside." Harry said after he walked over to Ben and Carlos.

"You know what? I actually thought you were brave. You're nothing but a chicken. Too scared to tell me I was never gonna see my dad again." Celia said after she walked over to the girls.

"Celia. Celia. Celia, no!" Mal yelled after Celia threw the ember in the birdbath.

"Celia!"

"No, no! Regain your might and ignite! No. Regain your might and ignite!" Mal said before she looked at Uma.

"Bummer. Let's go find Gil and leave them all to rot." Uma said before she and Harry left.

"No. Uma! E, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry. I just—I thought that—I was afraid to tell you. I thought I was gonna lose my best friends, but we had to do something. We had to protect Auradon." Mal said after Evie walked over to her.

"Closing the barrier was your idea?" Evie asked as she looked at Mal, Bella, and Carlos.

"I did it for us. I did it for our life that we have here now." Mal said.

"—for our life? What about the kids that we left behind on that island?—the kids that we promised? We were their only hope. I thought you guys were gonna stand up for the VKs, but instead you lied to them. You lied to Jay. You lied to Baylee. You lied to me. We're your family." Evie said before the three looked down.

"Evie. Evie, come on. I had no choice! No." Mal cried after Audrey turned Dude, Carlos, Bella, Jay, Evie, and Ben to stone.

Mal
Here you are alone and you deserve it
Your friends have turned to stone
And that's on you
You had a cause to serve but did you serve it?
Or did you see yourself in a way that wasn't true?

Why tell all those lies?
You feel unworthy
Like there isn't solid ground for you to stand
But a stack of lies is not a firm foundation
You cannot build a castle on a mountain made of sand

This is not your father's fairytale
And no, it's not your mother's fault you fail
So when your story comes to light
Make sure the story that they write

Goes once upon a time she fought a dragon
Once upon a time that beast was me
Once upon a misspent youth
She faced herself
She spoke the truth
That's how I see my once upon a time
This time

"Uma! Uma, stop! Please stop! I need your help. We have a chance if we do this together." Mal said after she ran over to Harry and Uma.

"Your friends kick you to the curb? Good." Uma said.

"Ben saw something in you and today, Uma, Bella and I saw it, too. You care. Uma, you care about everybody. Auradon is worth saving. Help us. Please." Mal said before Uma looked down.

"You talk pretty, but she's already made up her mind." Harry said.

"You brought this on yourself, Mal. You figure out how to fix it. Let's go." Uma said before she and Harry walked away.

Mal
Life is not a storybook but life unfolds in chapters
Turn the page and start to make amends
There's no prewritten guarantee of happily ever after
Step into your greatness before your story ends
So when your story ends

They'll say once upon a time a girl flew higher
Once upon a time she made things right
Once upon a tie that binds
She changed her heart
To change their minds
That's gotta be my once upon a time

This once upon a time
I'll finally see my once upon a time
This time

"Help me, Mal!" Celia called.

"Yeah, save your little friend, Mal!" Audrey said before Mal turned into a dragon.

"Help me, Mal!"

"Careful not to fry your little VK buddy." Audrey said before she aimed the scepter at Mal.

"Whoa!"

"She doesn't stand a chance without the ember." Uma said before she looked at her shell.

"Help me, Mal!"

"Come on."

"Hold still, you little brat!" Audrey said before she let go of Celia.

"We're stronger together. We're stronger together! I'm right here, Mal! Regain your might and ignite. I'm right here, girl. I'm right here. Regain your might and ignite!" Uma said before the ember lit up.

"Yes!"

"You want a piece of this? Huh?" Audrey asked before Celia covered her face.

"No! No! Go, Mal!" Celia yelled as Audrey blasted the scepter at Mal and Mal blasted the ember at Audrey.

"Go, Mal!"

"You got this! You got this, girl!" Uma said before Mal knocked Audrey out.

"Yeah, come on!"

"Yes!"

"Mal!"

"Celia. It's okay. I got you. Audrey? Oh no." Mal said after she felt Audrey's pulse.

"You're only half Hades. The ember won't do everything for you that it does for me."