22. the decision

"I think we all know why we're here

"I think we all know why we're here. The people are in a panic about Hades and Hans. They almost got out." Adam said as he looked at his kids.

"Who knows what they would've done if they had escaped?"

"We can't risk having another villain on the loose." Adam said.

"I really feel like this is my fault. I'm supposed to protect Auradon." Mal said as everyone looked at her.

"You did. You do protect Auradon." Ben said.

"Every time we open the barrier, we're exposed to danger: Maleficent, Uma, Hades, Hans." Adam said before Ben's and Bella's phones rang.

"Maleficent's scepter and the Queen's crown have been stolen." Bella said as she looked at everyone.

"Uma."

"We don't know that, Dad."

"When the people hear this, they will never wanna leave their houses. What do we tell them? Mal? Carlos? What do we do? How do we keep evil out of Auradon?" Belle asked before everyone looked at the  two.

"I think that there's only one way to guarantee their safety. I think that there can't be anymore going in and out. I think we have to close the barrier forever." Mal said.

"She's right. Every time the barrier opens, all of Auradon's in danger." Carlos said before Bella and Ben shook their heads.

"No."

"Bella. Son."

"No."

"Ben."

"Babe."

"No, no, no, no." Ben and Bella chorused as they walked away.

"Ben. Hey, come here." Mal said before she went to talk to Ben.

"Babe. Hey. I don't wanna take your dream away because it was so beautiful and it's why I fell in love with you, but as the queen and the future prince, what's our duty?" Carlos asked after he held Bella's hands.

"—to protect Auradon, but what about all of those kids? They were counting on us." Bella said before Carlos sighed.

"I know. I don't wanna let them down, but this is for the greater good, okay?" Carlos said before Bella nodded.

"Son? Bella? Mal and Carlos are right."

"I just don't think that we would forgive ourselves if something terrible happened." Mal said.

"Hey, babe. You okay?" Carlos asked after he walked into the kitchen to see Bella making cookies.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Want one?" Bella asked before she handed him one.

"Delicious. What're these for anyway?" Carlos asked after he took a bite.

"Baylee's dance recital tomorrow." Bella said before Carlos looked up.

"They moved it to tomorrow?—but tomorrow's our anniversary. One year with the love of my life." Carlos said before Bella smiled.

"I know, babe, but don't worry. Her recital's at twelve and we can go on our anniversary date after. Speaking of her recital, I gotta go pick her up from class. Meet us at the auditorium tomorrow, okay?" Bella said after she took her apron off.

"Got it, babe. See you tomorrow." Carlos said before Bella left after he kissed her.

"Who else knows about the crown and the scepter?" Evie asked.

"No one. Think about it. People are scared enough as it is. We have to employ these entirely new security measures." Mal said.

"Will this delay our bringing over more VKs?" Evie asked.

"We're talking about closing the barrier for good."

"—but you and Carlos said no. The four of us are living the dream here and we finally get to share that. What could be more important than that?" Evie asked.

"Yeah. I know. Maybe security or maybe peace of mind for everyone in Auradon." Mal said after she sat down.

"Is that what they're thinking? Were they seriously thinking that no one will ever go in or out of the Isle ever again? What? We never get to go back and see our parents? What about these kids? We promised them that they could go back and visit whenever they wanted." Evie said.

"Yeah, I know."

"M, I am so glad that you're gonna be queen and Carlos is gonna be the prince. You'll be apart of these conversations. You will stand up for the VKs. Thank you for telling me. You and Bel are gonna be great queens." Evie said as she hugged Mal.

"Sissy?"

"Hm?"

"Do you think Carlos will like my recital tomorrow?" Baylee asked as Bella brushed her hair.

"I think he'll love it, Monkey. So will Evie, Ben, Mal, and Jay." Bella said.

"Sissy, do you love Carlos?" Baylee asked after she turned around.

"Love him?"

"You know, like Mommy and Daddy. Like with rings and everything." Baylee said before Bella chuckled softly.

"Bay, are you asking if I wanna marry him?" Bella asked before Baylee nodded enthusiastically.

"Yeah! I'd love to have Carlos as my brother! He always plays with me and comes to all of my dances!" Baylee said with a smile.

"Baylee, you know that's a lot of commitment."

"I know, but you can do it! You love him!—and he loves you, too." Baylee said before she covered her mouth.

"Bay, where you not supposed to tell me that?" Bella asked before Baylee uncovered her mouth.

"Don't tell him I told you." Baylee said before she covered her mouth again.

"It's a secret. Don't tell him I love him, too, okay?"

"I'll try!"