chapter nineteen

mackenzie's pov:

mackenzie: “so what's up mads?”

maddie: “not much. can I speak to you alone?”.

I nodded my head and followed her into her room. I sat at the end up the bed while she locked the door.

mackenzie: “so what did you want to talk about?”

maddie: “kenzie. I think it's best for you to go home”.

mackenzie: “maddie why?”

maddie: “mom and greg miss you and your missing school. we agreed that I would stay here”.

I stood up from the bed and stepped a few feet back from Maddie.

maddie: “kenz please hear me out”.

I unlocked the door and ran out of the room. I bumped into Johnny.

johnny: “kenz what's wrong?”

I looked around and everyone was staring at me. my breathing fastens making me panic. I run to the door and unlock it. I slid my sneakers on and ran out the door. I ran down the buildings stairs and out to the street. I didn't know where I was going. I found signs leading to a nearby park. I ran into the park and onto a path into the woods.

my legs gave out. I collapsed onto the grass and held my chest. I looked up at the blue sky and tried counting the clouds to calm me down. it didn't work. I closed my  eyes and starting counting slowly. I opened my eyes and saw a boy standing over me. they made me panic more.

johnny: “shh it's okay. it's only me”.

I sat up. he sat down behind me. we both didn't say anything. he stroked my hair until my breathing was back to normal and I stopped crying. I turned around to face him.

mackenzie: “you didn't have to do that”.

johnny: “i know but I wanted to”.

I watched him stand up. he reached his hand out. he helped me get up. we walked back into to apartment. everyone was asking me questions at the same time. it got overwhelming for me.

mackenzie: “shut up!”

they all looked at me shocked. I'm not the type of person to yell. I walked over to Maddie and whispered to her.

mackenzie: “I'll go pack my stuff”.

I walked into maddie's room. I grabbed one of her backpacks and put a pair of clothes into it. I took the light blue hoodie off and put johnny's hoodie on. I put the bag on my my back and walked out of her room.

nia: “kenzie what are you doing?”

mackenzie: “maddie said I should go back home”.

kendall: “wait what?”

they looked at maddie who had no expression on her face.

brooke: “maddie is it true”.

maddie: “I'm going to drive kenzie, johnny, and lauren back to Pittsburgh”.

we said our goodbyes and hopped in maddie's car for the long drive to Pittsburgh.

____________________________________

{472 words}

thank you so much for reading.

please vote & comment.