Chapter 35

Liam King

When Dylan had instructed me not to bother Correy on the twenty fifth day of the month, I had been confused. He didn't care to explain further and although I had been eager to find out what was wrong with my boyfriend, I had decided to just respect his wishes.

I had called him countless times the following day though. He never answered and at some point, he even switched off his phone. The next two days, he never came to school and I was ninety-nine percent ready to match to his house and demand to see him.

I was so worried but then he came to school today. I had asked him what was wrong but had sensed that he didn't want to talk about it so I didn't push him to. Instead I had made plans for us to have lunch together, possibly skip the rest of the day since I had missed him too much.

I waited for him by his locker once the lunch bell rang.

Maybe I could cook for him. But that would mean driving back home which was twenty minutes away. I was still contemplating on the idea when Correy appeared before me. He forced a smile my way and awkwardly stuffed some books into his lockers.

Something had definitely happened.

I thought to myself. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it though, so I shook the thought away.

"You're ready?" I asked once he was done. He gave me a quick nod and without thinking I took his hand in mine.

Big mistake.

He quickly untangled our hands just as fast as I had tangled them and visibly tensed, dramatically moving a few feet away from me. He didn't wait for my next move as he sprinted away to the parking lot. I was left shocked and if one student hadn't run into me, I would have stood there for a full hour.

What just happened?

I asked myself, mentally raking my mind and trying to remember what I had done wrong. I slowly made my way to the parking lot, visibly trying to mask my worries.

Once there, I saw Correy beside my motorcycle, looking lost and out of place. I took deep breath and moved towards him, offering him a small smile.

"Let's go."

^^^^^^^^^^

I was making chicken sandwiches in my kitchen. Correy was seated on the counter facing me. Nothing much had happened. We got home some minutes before and after much thought, decided on just making sandwiches.

He was still silent and I wouldn't dare bother him for the fear of making things worse. I mean, Correy was skittish. One wrong word and he would build his walls so high no one would ever be able to break through them. Even if it killed me and I was hurt by what he did, I was willing to wait for him to be comfortable enough to tell me what was wrong. And that would take time, we hadn't even celebrated our one month anniversary as boyfriends so I was practically still a 'nobody' to him.

Okay that stung like a bitch, but it was true. Maybe we should just have had lunch in the school's cafeteria. Yeah, maybe he was too uncomfortable right now.

That thought alone made me finish up the sandwiches rather quickly. I only managed to make two for him. As for me, I would just pick something from the fridge. I placed the light meal on a plate and sat it beside Correy, excusing myself afterwards to go to my room.

I took the time to organize my room for the second time that day, so that Correy could comfortably finish his meal. I even cleaned my closet...

Was that too much?

I don't think so. After I made sure exactly twenty minutes were over, I went back to the kitchen. Correy was at the sink washing his plate.

Right on time.

I waited for him to finish then locked the house as we both went back to school. I didn't even try to converse with him, maybe I would say something wrong and then make him uncomfortable.

Correy Smith

I fucked up. I definitely did. Liam had left for class, offering me a small smile rather than the usual kiss on my lips.

But you freaked out when he held your hand before.

My inner voice commented. I don't know why I did that.

Shame. Maybe.

I was ashamed of myself. I didn't deserve Liam, I had never deserved him from the very beginning.

But that didn't stop you from dating him.

That voice spoke again.

I was being an insensitive brat. Liam had been sweet, taking me to his house just to cook lunch for me, even after I had done what I had done. I could tell he was hurt because he never spoke to me all the way back to school.

And that hurt me too, but I was the one who had started it all. If only I had not freaked out. If only I had not distanced myself from him. If only I was strong enough to fight my demons...

I had to fix it because Liam deserved none of my temper tantrums. He deserved much more, much better... He deserved a better me.

And I was going to to be better for him, I would be an angel if he wanted me to.

But first I had to make it up to him, and I knew just the perfect way to.