Pt. 46: New Purpose

A/N: hello, folks! Here we are again with another installment! Quick note, this is a bit of a flashback chapter. Those can be a pain in fanfics, but I tried to do it justice and add to the storyline. This is laden with alcohol references and puking once or twice, so stay vigilant if this affects you. I went off of my own experience where I got wine-drunk, as that is my only reliable source. Though it was in my own home, it was scary, and I wouldn't readily do it again.

----------

"Alrighty," Luna stated as Loki took his usual spot in the compound's lounge. "Since I will be doing some pretty delicate work today, Tony will buzz you when he needs you." She rubbed at one of her hands. "Hopefully, this time, I will get my experiment to work."

Unbeknownst to anyone else, she had been trying – and failing – for the past week to create a stable viral delivery method for the RePri gene sequence. Biology was finicky, and she knew so, but it never ceased to frustrate her.

Loki smiled up at her reassuringly. "I know you will." Luna smiled back and ducked her head. She knew she needed to stop acting bashful around such comments from him, but it was difficult to help.

"Well, I'll be, uh," Luna pointed in the general direction of her lab and giggled. "You know where I'll be." She took a step towards the door and let out a sharp gasp. "Oh, if I forget, please remind me that we have to go shopping on the way home today."

Loki nodded. "May I ask why?"

"Well, we need to get you a luggage set to carry your things." Luna shrugged. "I only have so much you can borrow."

Loki recalled their little upcoming road trip. The day of departure was steadily approaching, and he was growing more eager each day.

They exchanged unsaid farewells, and Luna departed for the task she set for the day. For the time being, Loki was left waiting to be summoned, with nothing but his music, reading material, and whatever thought his brain felt like conjuring up.

Today, he would face Tony and do roughly the same thing with him he had been doing for the past few months. For Tony, it was business as usual, but for Loki, the context had changed. Dare he say, he was grateful for him. He wouldn't have met Luna if it weren't for Tony's intervention nearly three years prior, and the idea of never knowing her was gut-wrenching.

But Loki knew he couldn't stroll into the garage, shake his hand, and say 'thank you for saving my friend.' Dynamic behavior shifts without provocation weren't his thing. He needed to keep up his attitude, lest he receives any probing questions. His talk with Luna had to stay private for both her sake and his.

From his pocket, he felt a buzz. Pulling his phone out and checked who it was, though he already had an inkling. It was Tony messaging him to 'get down here and get busy, Beanpole.' Loki rolled his eyes slowly. 'Beanpole.' That was a new one.

Double-checking his bag, he made his way down to the garage. Punching in the key code and strolling through the door, Tony didn't bother looking away from his work. He knew who it was.

"How are your hand-to-hand combat skills lately?"

Loki slung his bag over the back of an empty chair. "The same as they were. You remember, don't you?"

"Of course I do." Tony set down the tool he was using. "I just need to know if you've gotten rusty, that's all."

Loki smirked. "Ooh, are we being rough today?"

"In a way, but don't say it like that." Tony hands him a pair of close-up glasses and shuffles to one side, making room for him. Loki switches his glasses for the new pair and bends over the piece of hardware.