Pt. 47: Road Trip

A/N: hello all! Here we are with another great episode/chapter/installment of the story! Ok, for a little backstory, you know how I mentioned how Luna got in huge trouble for breaking a few micropipettes at her last job? Well, if you don't know, let me explain how that is such a great offense. Alright, picture those plastic pipettes that are totally clear with the little bubble on top. Kind of like a longer eyedropper that you use once and toss out. Now, onto the micropipettes. When I did labs in university labs, they trained us heavily on how to use and handle them. That's because they are carefully calibrated machines that cost hundreds of dollars per device. If you break or mishandle one, there are serious consequences. I broke one during a lab (by accident, and it wasn't completely my fault, so no one was penalized, and everything was fine), and I almost had a panic attack. Luna broke three, and she is supposed to have spent nearly a decade using these things. and, as usual, music in the story is linked at the bottom

----------

"Ok, so, toothbrush?"

"Check."

"Hair products?"

"Check."

"Lounging clothes?"

"Check."

"Going-out clothes?"

"Check."

"Phone?"

Loki patted around his pockets.

"Oh, dear," he muttered and went on a hunt for his temporarily-lost device. Luna snickered under her breath and started packing a food bag for the car.

Today was the day they left for Luna's hometown of DC. She'd spent the latter half of the week planning the route, buying appropriate snacks for the trip, and packing the things she needed. Loki waited for the morning of to tuck everything he needed into the hard-shell roller suitcase Luna helped him pick. She had impeccable taste. He adored the tartan pattern of green, gold, and black. If he wanted to exert more ownership over it, he'd have to write his name on it.

Finding his phone, Loki dropped it into the second bag containing the book he was reading, a book he planned to read upon finishing the first, and a small pouch of money. He lingered longingly at the statue Peter made and gave him as a Christmas present, wishing he could tote it along. But he knew it would be safer for him to leave it. Next to it, he spotted his gold necklace and Luna's friendship bracelet. Anxiety filled his chest at the thought of leaving them behind. He quickly slipped them on, tugging on them for good measure.

As he looked around him for the third time, Luna approached and handed him a bottle filled with fresh water.

"Think you're ready?" she quipped with a smirk.

"As I'll ever be, I think." Loki took it and slipped it into his bag. "Think anyone will recognize me?"

Luna waved him off. "Nah. The incident with Hydra and the Helicarrier crash in the Potomac was the really big thing around there. If there's anything anyone would be worried about, it's a government official. Not you." Loki looked at her, perplexed. He knew he was missing something. The look on his face cued Luna, and she took a few mental steps back. "Oh yeah, you don't know." She gasped but closed her mouth and relaxed. "I'll tell you about it later, because for right now," she checked her watch, "we should get going as soon as possible."

"Right." He slipped on his glasses and brushed his hair back. "Let us depart."

--------------------

The sun was high in the sky, and the wind whistled past the car cruising at a steady 70 miles per hour.

"As nice as this route is, I do wish we could fly," Luna said, keeping her eyes on the road ahead. "Would be way faster, and safer."