Pt. 55: The Rose

A/N: Ok, y'all, here it is. One of the most pivotal chapters ever, so get ready for some nice Surprised Pikachu. Let's go! And, as usual, music at the end of the story <3

----------

Next Saturday morning, Luna popped out of bed, beaming with excitement. Today was the day; Loki's birthday. She greeted the rose sitting on her desk. After work the day before, she managed to smuggle it into her room while Loki was showering. Her heart still pounded from the mere thought of it, but so far, her dear friend was none the wiser. Otherwise, it would be a very awkward gift-giving.

Making sure her bedroom door was closed, she freshened up in the bathroom and dressed into proper day clothes, and checked on her friend. Loki still slumbered peacefully on the couch. One arm hung off the side, but he didn't seem disturbed by it. Luna stepped around the coffee table and knelt by his head.

"Loki," she whispered. No movement. "Hey. Loki." She rested a hand on his tangled head of hair. He moved and hummed softly, opening an eye to look at her. "Happy birthday, Loki," she muttered. His eyebrows knit together, and he sat up. She'd successfully gotten his attention.

"How do you know?" he croaked sleepily.

Luna straightened her back and lied through her teeth. "Well, I picked a day that seemed about right, and the weather is nice. I feel like you should get to have your own celebration with me if you want. You know, while you can."

He stifled a yawn. "I do. Thank you."

"No need to thank me. Anyway," Luna pushed herself up, "get ready. I have a nice place in mind to take you after breakfast." She headed to the kitchen to warm some breakfast for the two of them.

Loki broke out into a wide grin. "Really?"

"Yeah. Now, go. Get to it, birthday boy."

He sprang up from his seat and headed to the bathroom, stretching on the way there. No need to tell him twice.

--------------------

Luna parked her car and drank the last of her lukewarm coffee. She looked to Loki beside her in the front seat. He'd fallen asleep as soon as they'd gotten on the highway, and she felt remorse for making him get him up before he was ready. She hoped the extra snooze time did the trick.

"Hey," Luna whispered, touching his shoulder. "We're here."

"Hm?" Loki sighed and brushed a hand over his face. "Already?"

"Yeah. Still feel up to it?"

"Oh, of course." He slipped on his glasses and cracked open the door. "Away we go," he quipped with a smirk.

Arm in arm, they walked to the tented entrance. Other groups of people made their way in front of and behind them. Loki's eyes searched the area for any clue to his surprise. He caught sight of a sign above a desk they were lined up in front of.

"A butterfly pavilion? That's what you've brought me to?"

"Uh, yeah," Luna said shyly. "Thought you would like it. And it's early enough, so there's not a whole ton of people." She anxiously fiddled with the fabric on Loki's sleeve. He put a hand over hers, stopping her fidgeting.

"I do like it. Thank you," he said, sweet as can be. They smiled at each other, and Luna rested her head on his shoulder.

At the desk, Luna wrote herself and Loki as a pair of two. They were ushered to a separate netted area with other people to receive conduct instructions. The butterflies were not to be taken, steps should be watched, loose clothing was to be tucked in, and bags kept closed. Luna's t-shirt was tucked in, but she yanked down the hem of her pullover. She would not enable any stowaways this morning.