Chapter 29 - Little Hardin

I felt two hands shaking my shoulders, and a voice calling my name. It wasnt clear, but I could hear it....

"Hardin, wake up"

December, 2004

"Someone is here to see you"

Every week, it was the same pattern. People would come and go but I would make sure none of them would take me away.

"Behave this time okay?" she asked me and I just nodded, holding her hand and walking down the big hallway.
I always carried my red little truck, that was a gift from my mother when I was born, there was no way I would leave the room without it.

The meeting area was cold and the chair uncomfortable. When we entered, I saw a young lady with long blond hair holding her tiny purse with both hands. Next to her, a man not so different, with such a warm gaze. They seemed quiet, surprisingly fit well with my temper.

"Mr and Mrs Scott. This is Hardin"
the lady said and pointed to me. They both smiled, but I've seen that scenario before and never ended well.
"Nice truck you got there" the man sajd pointing at my hands. I quickly hid it under the table and gave him an angry baby look. I dont remember saying anything, because the lady with the big eyes immediately grabbed it from my hands.

"Thats mine!" I shouted at her, standing up to take it.

"You'll have it back later. The Scott's drove a long way to see you"

"Please, give him back his toy" the woman said, and in seconds I had it back. I just gave her a crooked smile and that was it. I wasn't going to let this game be on their favor. When the lady left the room I just stood in silence and surprisingly so did they. They had this weird happy look on their face and it drove me crazy.

"I have a mum you know" I rudely said. The woman's face turned from happy to sad and honestly I was enjoying it. She didn't say anything but the man wasn't having it.

"Where is she? " he asked me. His question got me off guard but I did, of course I did.

"Working" I replied.

"What does she do then? " the woman said.

"Drinking" I replied.

They both seemed confused, and I knew this look on their faces, they had given up and my answer only broke their heart. Nobody would want a child like me. They were ready to walk away like every other couple did. I knew it. I could feel it. But that was exactly the plan, to drive them away. Besides, I didnt need them, I had a mom. She was just very busy, and sometimes angry but... she... would certainly come back.
No matter in what state, she would.

Suddenly, the woman stood up and came closer. I didnt move an inch, but she kneeled down to be on my level and handed me a picture. It was a small boy, I think younger than me. The man's eyes teared up when she took the picture out but I didnt bother.

"Hardin, I want to show you something" she said. "This is Connor"
I took the picture in my then tiny hands and examined it well. Nothing seemed wrong with him so why would she even show me.

"Where is he?" I asked them, but her face sunk in pain.

"He... he left a few years back"

"To go where?" I asked clearly curious.

"Somewhere better from here" was the only repsone she gave me "But before he left, he told us to make sure we give love and happiness to another boy who needed it" she added and placed her hand at my back. I didnt flinch, it felt like I needed her touch. It felt warm.

The man also approached us and picked up his wife who was now crying. He gave her a big hug and reached inside his pocket to take out a card.

"This is our phone number" he said and gave it to me. "You can call us whenever you like" he then added. His wife was clearly very upset so they didnt stay longer. They both waved goodbye and opened the door. After a few minutes, the other lady came to me running and grabbed me from my arms.

"Let me go!" I shouted at her.

"What did you do this time? For God sake you made the poor woman cry!" she said and tried to drag me back to my room. She would always lock me in there and sometimes she made sure I wouldn't have any food either. I think I preferred the wardrobe, at least I knew my mom was around. Locked or not.
As she was dragging me away, the couple I met earlier were standing at the front door and witnessed the whole thing.

"Let him go!" the man shouted and came to my rescue.

"I apologize for his behaviour Mr Scott, I'll make sure he gets punished"

"Punished?" the woman asked, thankfully not crying any more.

"Yes, that spoiled little bast-" she almost said and grabbed me again. I jingled her hand away and with tears in my eyes I run and hid behind the woman's skirt, holding her waist tight. I don't know why I did that, but it felt good. It felt home.

"Thats enough!" The man said and pointed a finger at the lady. "Touch him one more time and I'll see you in court"

Then, they all stood silent, trying to process my sudden exhibit of affection. The man scolded the lady away, and the woman picked me up in her arms trying to calm me down. Its been a while since I felt a hand stroking my back, an arm to hold me or hug me, a friendly presence to show any signs of careness towards me. My mom's touch was different. Sometimes it was soft and nice but other times it was harsh... and painful. I preferred this one. I noticed she had this amazing scent of proderm and her hair were freshly washed unlike my mom who had this smoke and alcohol scent all over her. I didnt want to leave the woman's hug, wherever they were going , I was definitely going as well.

"Can I come with you?" I asked her.

"Of course, sweetheart" she said and gave me a smile. "Lets go and pack your things" She dropped me back down, and I grabbed her hand to guide her in my room. The man seemed to be happy and so did his wife.

I don't remember much from that day. The ride to their house was silent. Not many words were exchanged, and our first dinner was quiet as well. She could cook though, I give her that! When they showed me to my room, it wasn't very big, but it was so cozy, I've never been to a better place before. My mom's house was very different, I didnt have anything there, and we would always share it with a bunch of other people. I always saw her drunk and would occasionally hide in the closet to avoid getting beat up from her or her roommates. Other times, I would wake up in there as well, and would only go out to use the bathroom.

"This is your room" she and her husband proudly said.
I took a moment to let everything sink in, and gave them a smile before walking inside.

"I never had one before" I admitted.

"Your own room?" he asked me.

"A bed..." I replied and made my way slowly towards it. I touched the covers only to encounter a fuzzy and warm feeling. Yes, that was definitely better than my wardrobe. The woman left a few sighs, and her hands were placed above her chest while her husband rubbed her shoulders. They seemed uncomfortable.

"Is this Connor's room?" I asked them.

"It was, yes" the man said.

"Dont worry" I replied "He will come back again" My answer seemed to surprise them and they gave me another weird look.

"That's what my mom used to do. She was leaving but then she would come back" I said trying to explain my thoughts. They seemed tense, but I was used to it by now. If only my seven year old self knew where Connor had been, I wouldn't be saying those stuff, but I was just a kid I guess.

Author's Note

Hey guys,
I got a few messages saying the app notified them for an early update, so just saying that was an error! New chapter is here, see you all tomorrow for a bonus one ❤️