Chapter 36 - Christmas Blasting

Hardin

I haven't heard from Tessa since yesterday night. It's been almost 24 hours.

Yes, I'm that pathetic, counting the hours.

I don't blame her, but we are so damn unlucky, every time I'm trying to find some quiet time to speak to her something comes up. I'm not planning to chase her around today, I need to give her some space. It's Christmas, and now I get what they mean when they say the holidays make you depressing as fuck.

Back in London, Christmas used to be our favorite holiday. My parents would really go out of their way to prepare a nice dinner, even though they weren't any rich class residents, the gatherings were always something special. Its funny how my memories are split between two different households with different auras each. My biological mom would treat Christmas just any other day of the year, and our house, that was more like a hostel to homeless and drug addicts, looked ridiculously packed.
My first Christmas with the family, was a few months after I got adopted and the rest of the relatives were supposed to come home for dinner, to meet the new addition. Me.

Uncle Charlie, my dad's brother was the funniest of all! He got me my first soccer ball and he would always visit to kick some ball at the back yard. He was such a great man, unfortunately his wife and he were killed a few years back in a plane crash. I really miss them, and I don't think dad ever got over his death. In the other hand, my relationship with the grandparents wasn't always the best. Grandpa Connor pretty sure hated me, because he would always see me as a replacement for the grandson he lost, and I don't blame him.

I feel so bad I haven't given them a call, considering all the shit that went down the last few days. I quickly grabbed my phone and dialled their number.

"Mom... it's Hardin"

"Well, well! Mr Scott Jr decided to remember his parents?"

"I missed you too mom" I said giggling.

"How have you been honey ? We haven't heard from you for so long"

"I've been fine... life is tough down here"

"I bet it is. Hard living alone aight?"

"Yeah damn right it is" I responded, and after a minute of silent I spoke again.
"Mom... you know... I was actually in London the other day"

"What? Seriously?"

"Yeah...I mean, I went back to see Chris and we kinda ended up meeting some kids from school... and...."

"No need to apologise baby, but a phonecall would be nice"

"Yeah, I'm such a dick"

"Hardin! Language!"

"Sorry... anyway, I don't suppose you heard?"

"Hear what?"

"Well, Chris and I had an accident here in Washington"

"Chris came with you back in Washington?"

"Yeah he d-"

"Hold up, you said accident?"

"Yeah... on the road... I was driving"

"Oh my god, Hardin were you drunk?"

"What? No, of course not, I don't drink"

"Is Chris okay?".... "Hardin?"....

"Mom... Chris didn't make it..." I said and all I could hear was her sobbing over the telephone, almost covering the sound of my own tears. My mom knew Chris very well and she always treated him like her child. She was so kind to everyone.