sixteen

March, 1996

"Never thought I could hate seeing a clock so much." Marie half smiled.

Trixie put a hand on her shoulder. "I know."

"Time is precious you know." Marie stared directly at a picture of her and her dad. 

Billie was gonna visit later on that day. Things haven't been the same between the two of them ever since Arnold's cancer diagnosis. Hard to focus on your romantic relationship when your dad is dying. 

"The drugs man. You've gotta stop with the drugs." Mike had recently came to his senses about drugs, now with Billie, Marie, and Trè still in the minst of it, he felt he had a responsibility to get them clean.

"Stop it Marie!" It pained Billie Joe to have to watch this. Marie took another swig of alcohol combined with the amount of drugs she had done that night.

"I learn from the best." Her voice was slurred, eyes bloodshot. She was turning into him on his worst days.

"I can't fucking loose you."

"You will if you don't stop telling me what to do!"

"I'm trying to help you!"

"You ain't got no leg to stand on!"

Billie shook the memory away. "She's everything to me Mike!"

"Mary Jane won't make her better."

"I wanna be able to kiss you and make it better." Billie was glad she was sober this time.

Marie spoke softly. "You can always kiss me. I love your kisses."

Billie did, holding her close, running his finger down to her chest.

"I love you so fucking much. You know that don't you?"

"Yes. You're my everything Billie Joe."

"Doll." He took a sharp breath and gave her another kiss, feeling her lips turn into a smile.