thirty-two

One month later

Marie had had enough. It was hard enough dealing with Arnold's death, now her mother not wanting to do much of anything. All while still not being over Billie Joe. On top of that, she was missing classes.

There was only one way she could deal with situations like this. Pressing a cigarette in between her teeth, she sprinted down the stairs. Natasha knew she was unable to do anything about it. 

What the fuck? In shock, Marie broke down crying. 

Green Day.

Marie thought to herself for a moment. Well, I can stay down here, but just until about 11:00. Or I can go back upstairs. Marie crossed her arms over her chest. Fuck it.

Basket Case was just ending, a brief moment of flashbacks of her and Billie Joe singing it together flew through Marie's mind. As the crowd cheered, she saw Billie look at her.

"Marie?" He mouthed. Marie nodded. Billie pulled Tre and Mike over to the side of the stage and into a huddle, trying to make the communication quick.

Billie walked up to the microphone. "This next song is for...well you know who you are." Billie gave Marie a half smile, then a frown."It's called good riddance."

Marie's mouth flew open as he began the song. It was just over two minutes long but it felt like forever. The only person he looked at the whole time was Marie. Shaking her head, Marie ran off crying. 

"Shit!" Billie said in a panic, handing his guitar to Mike.

Tre and Mike looked at eachother and frowned.

"I miss her." Tre looked away, trying to hide his tears.

Mike sighed. "We're a mess without her. I'd never tell Billie that  though, since he's trying to move on."

"She was my best friend. Trixie was my soulmate."

"We'll get em' back Tre."

"Marie!" Billie ran and sat beside her.

"How'd you know I was hiding out in here?" Marie asked, lighting her cigarette.

"You always hid out in the cellar."

The two sat in silence for awhile. 

Marie spoke up first. "Guess you're wondering what I'm doing here huh? And why the bar has a different name? Well..my dad died just last month."

"September." Billie said under his breath.

"Anyways. Whayda want? Drugs? Booze? Sex? Money?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay. You ran out crying."

"I know that song is about me breaking up with you."

"It is." Billie tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear. "I miss you. So much."

"Hey! What are you guys doing back here?!" A voice said, the two soon realizing it was a security guard. "Get the fuck outta here! You can't be back here!" 

It was weird. Marie was glad they got caught. She probably would have kissed him if it wasn't for the security guard. But of course the quickest way to get out of the bar was to go up to her apartment. 

"This is awkward." Marie stated and closed the door. 

Billie sighed. "Yeah. Well. No other choice."

Marie tightened the belt she wore around her jumper covered in hearts. "You can stay in my room if you want. I'll take the couch."

"You don't have to do that. I'm the intruder here."

Marie made her way to her room. "Only one night. We'll push through." Marie layed down on her bed and Billie laid down beside her. 

"Uh...goodnight." Marie smiled weakly. 

Billie Joe didn't get a lot of sleep that night. In fact, he was still awake at four in the morning, and he was glad he was.

Marie spoke softly from beside him. "Billie. I know you aren't awake and won't hear this. But I just need to know I said it. The whole thing with my dad taught me..life is short. You know that better than anyone. But I shouldn't hold grudges. So…,I forgive you Billie Joe. And I love you. And most of all.. I want you back. 

Marie wrapped her arms around him. "I miss you Billie Joe."

Billie could hardly fight back the urge to pull her close and kiss her. Soon after, he fell asleep.

Sometimes a hug is all you need. 

Soon, morning came around. Billie woke up first, noticing Marie was still cuddled up to him. 

"Hey doll." He whispered, stroking her hand a little bit.

Marie woke up not long after. "You sleep okay?"

Billie rubbed his eyes and yawned. "Yeah. How about you?"

"Best I have in a while. Thanks for everything last night. You didn't have to do that."

"I regret what I did to you. You know that. I'm still in love with you."

"I'm not doing this right now." Marie stood up.

"I know you feel the same way! I heard you last night!."

"I thought you were asleep.

"Doll c'mere." Marie sat on his lap.

"You want me back you got me back." Bille put his finger underneath her chin.

Marie nodded and smiled slightly. Billie wrapped one of his hands around her neck, the other laid on her thigh.

"Mm Billie. We shouldn't be doing this."

Billie sighed. "I know. But I don't want to think about tomorrow. Just now. Even if I can't ever have you again. I have you right now."

Marie grinned. "I love you Billie Joe Armstrong."

"I love you too, Marie Elizabeth Carson."

Billie pushed her over, causing her to giggle. Hovering over her, his lips brushed against her neck, soon against her own lips. Billie kissed her smile, undoing the top button on her jumper. Marie bit her lip. 

"Tell me if it hurts. Okay?" Billie said after breaking their kiss.

"I'll be fine Billie. I just haven't done this in...well."

"It's okay baby."

Marie nodded and pulled him into another kiss as they connected together. It was hard at first to keep her thoughts in the moment. Her mind filled with thoughts of regret about leaving him, and also if this would be the last time she saw him, but eventually that all went away.

Tangled up in eachothers arms, all Marie and Billie could say was "wow".