twenty-two

Augest, 1996

"Ain't it great to be in San Francisco again?" Marie asked, kissing Billie Joe on the cheek.

"Yeah of course babe." Billie replied. Marie observed that he couldn't even look her in the eye.

"Something wrong, darling?" Marie asked, connecting her hand with his.

"No doll. Everything is fine."

"C'mon lets get shirley temples!" Marie skipped towards the shop.

Billie forget about his pain for a second and skipped after her.

"Babe slow down!"

"Sorry. I get exicted." Marie smiled innocently and opened the door to the diner.

Billie pointed to a prop in the corner, a fifties car. "Damn that looks like yours!"

"Yeah you're right." Marie smiled, kissing Billie Joe on the cheek again. "I missed you so much."

The two put in their orders, sitting at a small table and sharing a shirley temple.

Marie linked arms with Billie Joe. "Awesome night huh? I never knew my body could handle that many shirley temples."

Billie bit his lip. "I..it's the least I could do." 

This was the final straw. Marie knew there was something up with him all night, one of the reasons being he wasnt making perverse jokes, but that was stupid. It was like something had taken over him. Marie cursed her anxiety. Shut up your boyfriend is not a demon! He couldn't even look her in the eye. The two stopped walking, standing near the golden gate bridge.

Marie smirked at him. "I remember us making out on that bridge. Wild times huh?"

Billie nodded, frowning at the memory. Not in any way was the memory itself a reason to frown, it was something much worse.

How could I hurt someone that is so special to me? 

"Earth to Billie Joe." Marie smiled weakly. 

"Yeah?" Billie snapped out of his trance.

"You've been weird ever since I got here. What's wrong?"

Billie tried not to cry. From head to toe she was perfect.

Billie gulped. "Marie. I need to tell you something."

Marie ran her thumb along his hand.

It didn't mean anything to me!

She was only a one night stand!

I don't even remember her name!

I was on drugs!

"I was at a party. Did drugs again."

"Oh baby its fine. You don't have to worry about that. Everyone  slips off the wagon.." Marie stopped speaking once she saw that Billie had tears in his eyes.

"What I did makes me wanna jump off that fucking bridge."

Marie hugged him tight. "Shh babe don't say that."

Billie stroked her hair. I don't deserve you.

His attempts not to cry failed. Marie only held him tighter.

"No. Don't. I don't deserve it." Billie said, out of breath between sobs. 

"Okay what the fuck did you do? Just tell me."

"I cheated." Billie cried harder. Marie instantly unwrapped her arms from around him and pushed him away.

"Marie I swear! She meant nothing to me! I wasn't thinking right!" Billie pleaded and tried to reach for her hand.

Marie slapped his hand away. "Stay the fuck out of my life!"

"Baby please I…"

"I don't wanna hear it. You're alot of things Billie Joe Armstrong. Now I know you're a cheater too. Have fun with that slut."

"So this is goodbye?" Billie's heart dropped.

"Good Riddance Billie Joe. Good Riddance."

Good Riddance