7

He nodded his head and laid back in his chair. It wasn't long before they came in and I glared at them. I led Wesley out of the prison and kept him close. We made it to a room and Crusher sent me a smile.

"Mother. I guess you know a lot has happened here." Wesley said softly.

"I know." She said softly.

"Captain Picard, are you going to let them kill me?" He asked softly.

"No. But I must find some way to prevent it that you understand." The capain said softly.

"How can we let this happen, Liator? They threaten everything we respect. Our law, our peace, our tranquillity and order." One of the Mediator's asked.

"You are powerful, but do not do this to us, we beg you. At least study what we were without law. Hurtful to each other, savage, thieving." The other asked.

"I understand. Perhaps your system of law and punishment is better than any system we once had. But we do now have a law I must obey. And part of it says I must protect my people from harm." Picard said softly.

"We did not ask you to come here." Liator said angrily.

"Which has to do with another law that we must obey." Riker said softly.

I kept my arm tightly around Wesley and quietly waited.

"We are all sworn not to interfere with other lives in the galaxy. If I save this boy, I break that law." Picard said calmly.

"And you should be executed if you do so!" The mediator snapped.

"I may suffer almost as much. Starfleet takes the Prime Directive very seriously." Picard said softly.

"No, it is God who will punish you."

"That thought has crossed our minds. Your god up there may insist that we obey our non-interference directive." Picard said softly.

"Sir, does this mean if you save me the entire crew could die?" Wesley asked as he held onto me tightly.

"You're not involved in this decision, boy."

"I'm sorry, sir, but it seems like I am."

"Picard to Transporter room. Lock into this signal. Stand by for six to beam up. Wesley, Maria." Picard said as he motioned for us.

I led Wesley over to Picard and watched Crusher pull him to her side.

"Our laws have been violated. What of justice?" Liator asked with a frown.

"What of justice to Wesley? Does he deserve to die?" I asked with a frown.

"I'm truly sorry, Liator, but I must have justice for my people too. Transporter room, energise." Picard ordered.

We waited a second and when nothing happened I held my breath.

"Transporter room, come in." Picard ordered.

"We can't energise the beam, sir. Everything checks out but we're getting no results."

"God has prevented your escape." The Mediator said angrily.

"Then your god is unfair. My son had no warning that his act was criminal." Crusher snapped.

"We cannot allow ignorance of the law to become a defence."

"Don't know how to communicate this, or even if it is possible, but the question of justice has concerned me greatly of lately. And I say to any creature who may be listening, there can be no justice so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions." Picard said calmly.

"When has justice ever been as simple as a rulebook?" Riker asked angrily.

I felt the familiar feeling of being beamed up and let out a sigh of relief.

"It seems the Edo Lord agrees with you, Number One." Picard said calmly.

It wasn't long before I was allowed to go to my room and rest. I let out a sigh as I changed into some sweats and a tank top. I heard a knock on the door and walked up to it. When I opened the door I saw Wesley.

"Wesley? Are you okay?" I asked softly.

He shook his head no and rushed forward and hugged me. I gently put my arms around him and hugged him back as he cried into my chest. I let out a sigh as I rubbed his back.

"Wesley, look at me." I said as I pulled away.

He looked up at me and I sent him a gentle smile.

"I promise you, I will never allow anyone to hurt you. As long as I am on this ship, you and everyone else will be safe." I said softly.

He nodded his head and I let out a sigh.

"Go get some rest. Everything will be fine." I said as I pulled away.

He nodded his head and left. I shook my head and made my way to Picard's room. I gently knocked and the door opened.

"Come in!" He called.

I walked inside and sent him a small smile.

"How do you feel?" He asked as he fixed his shirt.

"Tired.... I was so worried about Wesley." I said as I plopped down on on his bed.

"I was worried about you, I was scared what you would do to protect him." He said as he shook his head.

"I probably would of started a war to protect that kid.... he reminds me of.."

"Your brother?" He asked softly.

"Yes... my brother."

"How long has it been?" He asked softly.

"It will be ten years soon." I said softly.

"I'm sorry." He said as he gently squeezed my hand.

"Not as much as I am." I said as I stood up and left his room.