21

For the next few weeks I ignored both Julian and Odo. I walked beside Dax and let out a groan.

"Why can't I just talk to both of them?" I asked as we walked towards Quarks.

"Probably because you are scared. Listen you should just be honest with them." She said softly.

"I know, but I- oh no." I said as I stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"No. No... no." I said as I rushed through the door to Quark's.

"You are dealing with a daughter of the Fifth House, Holder of the sacred Chalice of Rixx, Heir to the holy Rings of Betazed." My aunt growled out as she held onto Quark.

"Not my ear, please!" Quark begged.

"Yes, and I know where it hurts the most, you little troll. Now, I want this room sealed and I want everyone in it strip-searched until you find my brooch." She ordered.

"May I be of service?" Odo asked as he walked u onto her.

She let go of Quark and I held my breath.

"Oh, thank goodness. Our Chief of Security, Odo." Julian said with a sigh of relief.

"What seems to be the problem?" Odo asked calmly.

"Well, my brooch has been stolen. It's been in my family for thirty six generations. It's absolutely priceless, and I want it back." My aunt said softly.

"You're certain you were wearing it today."

"Yes, of course, I'm certain. I never use this hair without it."

"I see. You're Betazoid?"

"Of course."

"Telepathic."

"Yes."

"And you sense no guilt anywhere in this room?" Odo asked calmly.

I quickly closed off my mind and held my breath as she closed her eyes.

"No, but Betazoids cannot read Ferengis."

"Quark has plenty of reason to feel guilty, but he usually doesn't have to resort to petty theft to fleece his clients." Odo said calmly.

"Thank you." Quark said softly.

I saw Odo look around and then stop when he saw a small creature trying to scurry away.

"Wait a minute. Empty your pockets now." Odo ordered.

Odo picked up a Starfleet bag from its stash and I held back a laugh.

"Well, since when did you join Starfleet?" Odo asked calmly.

"That's it. That's my brooch. But how did you know?" My aunt asked as she picked it up.

"Dopterians are distant relatives of the Ferengi. It made sense that if you couldn't read Quark, you might not be able to read this charming fellow either." Odo said calmly.

Odo grabbed him and turned. His eyes landed on me and he stopped for a second. My aunt turned to see who he was staring and I held my breath as her eyes landed on me. She froze up and turned to fully look at me.

"Are you alright, Madam Ambassador?" Julian asked softly.

"Commander Maria! Would you like your usual?" Quark asked with a smile.

I saw my aunt go forward and I quickly rushed forward and caught her. I gently laid her head down and ordered Julian to get a wet rag.

"Madam Ambassador!" Someone exclaimed.

He rushed up to her and I saw Julian leave to get a rag.

"Let's get her to the medstation." Julian said softly.

He picked her up and I followed him and Odo to the medstation. I set in the chair beside her bedside and listened to Odo and Julian talk.

"What happen?" Sisko asked as he walked into the room.

"She just saw Maria and fainted." Julian explained.

"Does she.. have you told her about-"

"No, I haven't." I said softly.

I looked down and gently moved a strand of hair out of her face. I smiled as she started to stir. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked up at me.

"I must be in heaven." She whispered.

"No, I'm afraid not... you are very much alive." I said with a gentle smile.

"Maria?" She asked as she moved her hand to my face.

"Yes, it's me Auntie." I said as I gently squeezed her hand.

I saw tears stream down her face and I squeezed her hand again.

"Auntie?" Julian asked shocked.

I felt her go inside my mind and I shook my head.

"You look the same.. just like when I lost you." She said as she set up.

"That's because to me I was only gone a few weeks." I said softly.

She shook her head and I stood up.

"Does Deanna know?"

"Yes, but don't be mad... I asked her and Picard not to tell you." I explained.

"Why?"

"Let's leave these two alone." Sisko said as he led Odo and Julian out.

I let out a sigh and set back down in the chair.

"Maria..."

"I treated both you and mother so bad." I said softly.

"Maria, we treated you bad. Your mother told me what she had done... and I understand why you were so mad."

"I wish I could go back and tell her.. that I forgive her and want to start over, but every time I think about her... I think of the cruel things I said. To both her and my father, and I meant non of them." I said as tears streamed down my face.

"She knows." She said as she hugged me.