27

I paced back and forth as I waited for word on Odo. Soon the door opened and Julian let me in.

"I'm fine." Odo said as I took his hand.

"What happen?" I asked looking at Julian.

"Doctor, this is a waste of time. You don't know enough about changeling physiology to diagnose what's wrong with me. No one does." Odo said cutting him off.

"Actually, I do have some idea what's going on. I've compared your current medical scans with ones I've made over the last four years and there are noticeable differences. Normally when you're in humanoid form, you have a specific density of one point four which is constant throughout your body. Your mass and density only vary when you change shape. Right now, your mass and density are in a state of fluctuation." Julian said with a frown.

"Do you know what's causing it?" I asked as I held Odo's hand.

"No."

"Well, do you know how to prevent it from happening again?" Odo asked as I held my breath.

"Not yet."

"Then tell me when you do."

"I'm afraid I can't let you leave just yet. Moving seems to increase the fluctuations and may bring on another attack."

"Are you saying that I have to stay here until you discover a cure?" Odo asked with a frown.

"Or until the fluctuations stop on their own. For all I know, this could be a normal biological process. The changeling equivalent of puberty, or menopause."

"That's an interesting theory, Doctor. One I suggest that you keep to yourself."

"Don't worry. This could just as easily turn out to be a virus or a bacterial infection. Now, lie back and I promise I'll do everything I can to get you out of here as soon as possible." Julian said softly.

"Alright, well I guess I'll have to stay and-"

"No, you need to go back to work, you have a job and can't stop because of me." Odo said cutting me off.

"You're my fiancé!"

"No buts. You are going to work."

"Fine, but Julian update me if anything changes." I said softly.

He nodded his head and I turned and left the room. I went to my station and quietly waited for any news.

"Stop worrying." Kira said as she walked up to me.

"I can't... I just.. have this horrible feeling." I said as I let out a sigh.

"I'm planning on going to visit. I'll tell you how he is." She said softly.

"Thank you." I said softly.

Half an hour later I was called to the medstation.

"What happen?" I asked as I walked up to Julian.

"He is having trouble staying solid." He said softly.

"How are you feeling?" I asked as I walked up to Odo.

"See for yourself." He said softly.

My heart stopped as I saw that he was only partially solid.

"It's gotten worse." Julian said with a frown.

"Very observant, Doctor. It's been more and more difficult for me to maintain humanoid form." Odo said as I reached for his hand.

He moved his hand away and a frown appeared on my face.