14

I walked through the station and stopped when I saw a man running.

"O'Brien?" I asked in shock.

He stopped and turned to look at me. I saw shock wash over his face before he ran up and spun me around.

"Maria! I thought you were dead!" He exclaimed.

"No, I am very much alive. Is the Enterprise here? I would if thought-"

"No they aren't here... I actually work here now. More quiet place for me and Keiko to raise our daughter."

"You have a daughter?"

"Her name is Molly." He said with a smile.

"I'm so happy for you."

"When did you get here?"

"A few weeks ago... so how was everyone when you left?"

"They were good."

"Data? Tasha? Worf? Wesley-"

"Everyone was fine... well.. besides Tasha." He said as he looked away.

"What happen?" I asked softly.

"A couple weeks after you went missing.... Tasha was killed. On an away mission. I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you." He said softly.

"Thank you for telling me." I said softly.

He nodded his head and I let out a sigh.

"So where are you heading in such a rush?"

"School, Keiko isn't here so I'm watching her class."

"Need help?" I asked softly.

"I could always use it." He said softly.

I nodded my head and followed him to the classrooms. We walked in and I saw all the kids talking.

"Sorry I'm late. The Transporter in Ops needed a minor adjustment in its upper molecular imaging scanner. but never mind that. All right, let's settle down. Let's settle down! Jake! Nog! Nog!" O'Brien snapped.

Nog finally set down and I smiled softly.

"Thank you. Now we only have two more weeks to get through before Mrs O'Brien returns from Earth, so that shouldn't be too difficult, right? Right. Let's take out our homework PADDs. We'll begin with the older students. Your last assignment was to write an essay defining the term 'ethics.' Let's start with Nog."

"I don't have my essay." Nog said as he looked down at the desk.

"Why not?"

"My PADD was stolen."

"Is that a fact? Any idea who stole it?" O'Brien asked as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"It happened in Quark's. I put it on a table and there were some Vulcans nearby-"

"Hold on. You're saying Vulcans stole your homework?" I asked as I tried not to laugh.

"Yes, sir. I mean Ma'am." Nog said as he looked away.

"Any idea why they would want your homework?" I asked softly.

"Because they don't have ethics?"

I heard some children laugh and I shook my head.

"All right, that's enough." O'Brien said sternly.

"It's the truth. Ask Jake. He was with me. Go on. Tell him." Nog said as he turned to look at Jake.

"I guess so." Jake said softly.

"You guess?" O'Brien asked with a frown.

"He, yeah. They took it. I was there." Jake said as he looked away.

"All right, but I want that essay in tomorrow. Is that understood?" O'Brien asked with a frown.

"Yes." Nog said as he nodded his head.

"Also I forgot to introduce my friend. This is Commander Maria, I hope you will show her the same respect you show Commander Sisko."

"Oh you all don't have to do that and please call me Maria. I hate titles." I said with a smile.

After class was over I followed Nog and Jake out.

"Can I speak to both of you?" I asked softly.

Jake nodded his head and I motioned for them to follow me.

"You know you don't have to lie right? You could of just told O'Brien the truth." I said softly.

"The truth?" Nog asked softly.

"You don't know how to read do you?" I asked softly.

Nog looked away and shook his head yes.

"Lucky for you I'll be here awhile. If you need any help, simple ask me or I'm sure Jake would help you." I said softly.

He nodded his head and walked away with Jake. I smiled softly and shook my head. The next day I didn't see Nog at school.

"Jake, where is Nog?" I asked after class.

"I don't know. I'm going to go look for him." He said as he walked away.

I followed him and saw him climb up and sit beside Nog. I frowned as I decided to listen in to their conversation.

"Hey, Nog. Where were you this morning?" Jake asked softly.

"I'm through with school." Nog said calmly.

"What do you mean, through?"

"I mean I don't have to attend those boring classes anymore."

"Is this your father's idea?" Jake asked with a frown.

"It's the right decision."

"Look, if you want I'll talk to Mister O'Brien."

"No. I don't belong there."

"Don't you want to learn things?"

"You mean like ethics?

"Yeah, and other stuff."

"You don't understand. I'm a Ferengi. For me, school is a waste of time." Nog said angrily.

"Why is that?"

"Because there's no profit in it."

"So why are you getting mad at me?"

"Because you're a stupid human. I don't know why I bother with you."

"I'm stupid? You're the one not going to school. See if I care." Jake said as Nog took off.

I frowned as I watched Nog rush off. I quickly followed him and saw him leaning against a wall. I walked up to him and heard him sniffle.

"Nog, do you want to talk?" I asked softly.

"Why would I want to talk to you?" He asked not looking at me.

"Because I know what it's like to be in your shoes." I said as I walked up to him.

"You do?"

"My father is half Vulcan half human, my mother a Betazoid." I explained.

I motioned for him to sit down and I sent him a smile.

"I left Vulcan to join Star Fleet and in doing so cut all ties to my family."

"Do you regret it?"

"No. I'm glad I did. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be who I am today. It was hard, but I wasn't happy with the life they wanted of me. I was only happy when I made my own life." I said softly.

"I want to learn, but... my father said that I couldn't return to school."

"Let me deal with him." I said as I stood up.