8

I heard my computer beep and I answered the call coming from Vulcan.

"Hello grandfather." I said softly.

"Maria, how are you?" He asked softly.

"I've been better.... how is mother and father?"

"Your mother is well, your father is fine from what she tells me." He said with a frown.

"How are you?"

"I am old." He said with a small smile.

"Well you are nearly a thousand." I said with a laugh.

"I'm only in my two hundreds." He said with a chuckle.

"Sure."

He leaned back and let out a sigh. Since I had been born my grandfather had become more human. He showed more emotions towards me and treated me as his equal. If not for my grandfather I don't think I'd ever go to Vulcan.

"I thought I would check on you... I will try to call you again." He said softly.

"I love you." I said softly.

"Live long and prosper." He said as he saluted me.

I saluted him back and then he hung up. I let out a sigh as I left my room and walked through the enterprise. I walked towards the transporter room to help identify a box coming up. When I arrived I saw a chest with a head and Deanna, Riker, and Tasha watching it.

"I hold a message for Deanna Troi. Lwaxana Troi and the honourable Miller family will soon arrive. The momentous day is close at hand. Rejoice." The chest exclaimed.

"No. No." Deanna whispered.

"What's going on?" Riker asked with a frown.

The box bursts open and scatters gems on the transporter pad. I watched as Tasha walked up to it and looked down at them.

"Jewels. Look at these jewels." Tasha said in shock.

"They're bonding gifts. What you would call wedding presents." I said as I gently touched Deanna's back.

"Who's getting married?" Riker asked with a frown.

"I am." Deanna said softly.

It wasn't long before the Miller family arrived and I showed them to their room.

"You must be Maria." Mrs. Miller said with a smile.

"Your aunt told us about you, sad how Vulcan treated you." Mr. Miller said as he shook his head.

"Steven!" Mrs. Miller snapped.

"Sorry." He said softly.

"Forgive my husband." She said softly.

"It's perfectly fine, I hope the quarters please you all, now if you will excuse me... I must check on Deanna." I said as I turned and left the room.

I soon found Deanna waiting for me in front of the teleported room.

"She's asked for you to come as well." Deanna said as she let out a sigh.

"Me? Why? We haven't spoken in years." I said as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I don't know, but it wasn't a request." She said softly.

"That woman confuses me beyond anything in the world." I said as I shook my head.

"Me as well." She said softly.

We made our way to the transporter room and I stood at the door away from Deanna and the Captain.