11

Mae grabbed Billie's hand as they walked up her parents' sidewalk. She went to open the door but found it was locked. She told them she was on her way, so she half expected them to unlock the door.

"Really?" Mae grunted as she rung the doorbell to her childhood home. It wasn't that she was embarrassed of her parents or she thought this would end badly. She just didn't want her parents to make a big deal out of Billie. Had she brought home some random guy from the street they wouldn't bat an eye.

She knew her father was going to make some remarks about the music industry and touring and long-distance, while her mother was going to mention the age and the fact that he's got two kids and one is only a few years younger than Mae. She just didn't want it to scare Billie off.

"Mae! Hey kid." Her father pulled Mae in for a quick hug.

"Dad, this is Billie," She turned to Billie. "Billie, this is my dad Jason." She smiled. Billie held his hand out first, a sign that her father already liked.

"Billie; Nice to meet ya man. Come on, come in, come in!" Jason shuffled the couple inside and Mae led the way towards the kitchen where she could hear her mother.

"Well look who decided to show up for once!" Mae's mother teased as she walked over to say hello. "You must be Billie." She smiled.

"Well Christ Maegan, you didn't tell me you had a sister?" Billie teased as he greeted her mother.

"Oh don't even start with the lines. They don't work on me!" She teased. "I'm sandy. It's so nice to finally meet you!" Billie nodded his head.

"You too Sandy! This place is awesome!" Billie glanced around the kitchen. The house Mae grew up in was something her parents took pride in. They had just recently renovated almost the whole thing. It was very open with plenty of windows and natural lighting.

"Thank you, Billie!" She gushed. "So let's go sit down in the living room. Lunch will be ready soon!"

"Mom you didn't have to make anything really," Mae protested.

"Meagan stop, I only made a chicken and it's almost done!" Sandy teased. "So Billie, Mae tells us you're in a band?"

"Mom I didn't tell you anything.." Mae started but Billie placed his hand on her leg telling her it's okay.

"Yep. For 20 some years now. Green Day is my first baby." He chuckled.

"Ah-So you met Mae at work I presume?"

"Well kinda. We bumped into one another while getting coffee and then met up later at He arena." Billie smiled as he spoke about their first encounter. It made Mae's heart swell.

This time Jason spoke up. "You said Green Day was your first baby, does that mean you have children?"

"Yes, sir. Two boys. Jakob and Joey." Jason only nodded as Sandy smiled.

"How old are they if you don't mind me asking?" Sandy smiled.

"They'll be 21 and 18 this year." Billie smiled. He didn't care about the age. He wasn't ashamed of his children. He was so proud to talk about them and it made Mae so happy to know he wasn't intimidated by her parents.

Her father didn't look too thrilled but her mother, on the other hand, just looked a little surprised. "So I'm sorry, but how old are you Billie?"

"Oh! No problem, I just turned 44 this year."

"Mom enough with the freaking grilling questions!" Mae sounded fed up. which she was. She was tired of her parents silently judging him right in front of him.

"Hey, it's fine. Look I'm gonna be really bout here guys. I know The age difference between Mae and I is there. I realize that. But I'm absolutely crazy about your daughter, okay? I know How it looks. I would be thinking the same thing. A man whos almost 20 years older than your daughter. Who just happens to also be apart of a pretty big band. I'm not out to take advantage of Mae. I've let her lead the way since day one because I could tell from the start that there was something ridiculously fucking special about this girl." Billie exhaled the breath he didn't realize he had been holding once he was done.

"And now I really need a smoke, so excuse me." Billie stood up and walked out of the front door. He wasn't mad. He wasn't even angry. He was, however beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with his emotions coming to the surface like that.

"Seriously guys calm the hell down. We're well aware of the difference. It's been a topic of discussion more than once. We're not rushing into anything... so, please. Just relax. I'll be right back.." Mae stood from the couch and walked outside to be with Billie.

Jason looked at his wife. "She's right ya know. She's not a kid. She's a grown adult. As terrifying as it is." Sandy nodded her head.

"I didn't mean to start anything Jase. I just can't help but be concerned.." Sandy knew she needed to back off.

"I know honey. Let's give them some space, yeah?" Jason stood from the couch holding his hand out for his wife to take so they could go sit out on the patio.

Mae walked out to where Billie was standing on the edge of the driveway. He smiled when he saw her standing there.

"Hey, beautiful. Sorry I kinda stormed out.." Billie looked at his cigarette as he tapped his index finger on the side of it.

"No. Don't. They shouldn't have bombarded you like I knew they would." She stepped closer to the singer, allowing him to wrap his free arm around her shoulders as she put her head on his shoulder.

"I'm not mad Mae. I totally get where they are coming from. Especially as a parent. I just started rambling and I had to get out of there before I started to say something stupid." Billie chuckled awkwardly. He was happy Mae didn't pry.

"Well, thankfully I think you've witnessed pretty much the worst of it by now." Mae smiled as she tilted her head upwards to meet Billies gaze.

"Then I think I can handle anything at this point." He smiled before he playfully puckered his lips, silently asking Mae for a kiss, to which of course she obliged to.