Chapter 49

Karen has made lots of sweets for us to eat. I eat a few while she and I discuss her love for baking. Seokjin doesn't join us in the dining room but it doesn't seem to cause any suspicion. I look over to where he just sits on the couch with his book on his lap and remind myself that I need to make sure I talk to him soon. I don't want to lose his friendship. 

"I love baking as well, I am just no good at it," I tell Karen, and she laughs. 

"I would love to teach you," she says. Hope is evident in her brown eyes and I nod. 

"That would be great." I don't have the heart to say no. I feel for her; she is really trying to make an effort to get to know me. She believes me to be Jungkook's boyfriend and I can't tell her otherwise. Jungkook has made no move to tell her or his father, either, which gives me a swell of hope. I wish this night was how my life could always be, enjoying spending time with Jungkook, his eyes constantly meeting mine as I converse with his father and future stepmother. He is being nice, for the last hour at least, and his thumb rubs over my knuckles in a gentle gesture that gives me a constant string of butterflies. The rain continues to pour outside and the wind howls. 

After we finish the desserts, Jungkook gets up from the table. I look at him questionably and he leans down to whisper in my ear. 

"Be right back, just going to the loo," he says, and I watch him disappear down the hall. 

"We both cannot thank you enough. It is so wonderful having Jungkook here, even if it's only one dinner," Karen says and Ken takes her hand above the table.

"She's right. It is wonderful, as his father, to see my only son in love. I had always worried he wouldn't be capable . . . he was an . . . angry child," Ken mutters and looks at me. He must notice how I shift uncomfortably in my seat, because he follows up with "I'm sorry, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, we just love to see him happy." 

Happy? Love? I choke on my breath and break into a heap of coughs; the cool water in my glass slides down my throat, calming it, and I look back at them. They think Jungkook is in love with me? It would be incredibly rude to laugh at them, but he obviously doesn't know his son. 

Before I can respond, Jungkook returns and I thank the heavens that I didn't have to respond to their sweet, but false, assumptions. Jungkook doesn't sit down, but rather stands behind me with his hands on the back of the chair. 

"We really should get going. I have to take Jimin back to the dorms," he says. 

"Oh, don't be silly. You two should stay tonight. It's storming outside and we have plenty of room. Right, Ken?" 

Jungkook's father nods. "Of course, you're both welcome to stay." 

Jungkook looks at me. I want to stay. To extend my time with Jungkook in what feels like a world away from the world, especially when he is in such a good mood. 

"I don't mind," I answer. But I don't want to upset him by wanting to stay here any longer. His eyes are unreadable, but he doesn't seem to be angry. 

"Great! Then it's settled. I'll show Jimin to a room . . . unless you'll be staying with Jungkook in his?" she asks. There is no judgment behind her voice, only kindness. 

"No, I'd like my own room, please. If that's okay?" 

Jungkook glares at me. 

So he wanted me in his room with him? The thought excites me, but I don't feel comfortable with them knowing Jungkook and I are at that point yet. My snarky subconscious reminds me that we aren't dating at all, or even close to it, so being at a "point" isn't possible. That I have a girlfriend who is not Jungkook. I ignore her as usual and follow Karen upstairs. I wonder why she's sending us straight to bed, but I'm not comfortable enough to ask.