Chapter 40: Apologies

"Oh, you're back already?" Jacinta's voice reached Eak's ears when he opened up the front door.

"Uh, yeah." Eak quickly replied, taking off his shoes.

"How was the party, son?" Federico asked.

I saw Luna there, had a panic attack and passed out.

"It was fun! I had a great time." Eak decided to say instead, entering the living room.

"Great to hear that! Say, have you eaten anythin' at that party?" Jacinta offered the younger Mexican a quick glance before turning back to whatever movie she and Federico were watching.

He hadn't really eaten much, but it didn't matter anyways, his stomach had been emptied already.

"Not really." Eak shrugged.

"You can get some chips then or somethin', grab some Grills for me!" Eak's dad ordered him, dismissively waving his hand.

"Sure, boss....." Eak rolled his eyes but went into the storage room to get the snacks.

When he got back into the living room, Eak noticed his mom had shuffled a bit further to the arm of the couch, leaving room for Eak to sit in between her and his dad.

Eh, whatever.

He ploffed down in the middle of the couch, ignoring Federico's annoyed look when he obnoxiously bumped against his leg.

"What're you guys watchin'?" Eak asked, passing his dad the bag of Grills.

"Scream, 1996. A way better horror movie than the crap they put out in these times." Federico quickly replied, attention completely focused again on the movie.

"Ok, boomer." Eak snorted, amused by his dad's complaining.

He kind of missed this. Sitting between his parents as they watched a movie, the warmth of their bodies when he leaned against them..........

Eak doubted he'd experience much more moments like this one, but for now, he savored every second of it.

"Chica, you've been acting weird lately." Toddy suddenly said, crawling under the huge cover of her bed.

"How so?" Chica raised a confused eyebrow at her BFF, putting her phone down on the floor next to the bed.

"Like, ever since you told me you like Eak, you've been.....I don't know, off? Less confident and stuff. I just don't get it??" Toddy explained, keeping a wary eye on Chica.

"Really? I mean, that wouldn't be so weird.......I guess. I just usually start kind of doubting myself whenever I find myself falling in love with someone." Chica awkwardly stated, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Oh, so that's why you wore that horror make-up to my party tonight? I already figured it wasn't really your style." Toddy said with a raised eyebrow.

"It isn't, but I thought Eak might like make-up y'know?" Chica quietly commented, cheeks dusting a light color.

"What in the world gives you the impression he does??" Toddy looked puzzled.

"Oh come on, I'm not blind, Todds. I can see the way he looks at you, he obviously finds you the most attractive person in the whole group." Chica replied, rolling her eyes at Toddy's obliviousness.

"That's because I am, Chic. But he doesn't have a thing for me! If he did, I assure you I'd know! Either way, you don't gotta change your attitude and looks just to please Eak's own preferences. If he doesn't appreciate you for who you are, then he ain't worth it, period." Toddy firmly stated, slinging an arm around Chica's shoulder.