One

"Melissa Anna Grey! Get the fuck down here this instant!" The devil aka the care giver here shouted.

I cautiously make my way down the stairs, the tone in her voice clearly showed she was not happy. My suspicions were correct when I reached the final step.

I was face to face with a red and fuming Claudia, this can't be good.

"What the fuck is this?" She screeched motioning her hands around the room. Narrowing her cold dark evil eyes at me.

I raised an eyebrow confusingly trying to understand what she was talking about. I think for a minute before giving her an answer.

"Its a house, room, some people might call it a buil-..." I was cut of by a loud clap the sound of a hand coming in contact with flesh. The sound bounced off the walls and I felt a stinging sensation across my right cheek.

I can feel the tears stinging in my eyes as I hold my cheek. My eyes wonder across the room the other kids look at me. Some with sympathy others with hatred and discuss.

Claudia just smirks pleased with what she's just done. She loves to see me hurt or in pain. Ever since I got here 5 months ago she has made it her mission.

Actually, one of her life goals is to go out of her way to make my life a living hell. I have met alot of mean, hateful people the world is full of them.

By far she is at the top of the food chain, she makes my parents look like saints.

"I'm tired of you running your mouth." She says dangerously close to me, taking a large step forward.

Each step forward she takes I take a larger one back until my foot hits the bottom of the stair case there's nowhere else to go.

"We have visitors coming possibly adopters I need you to clean I want this house to be spotless. You have 20 minutes" and with that she walked away.

How does she expect me to clean this whole house in 20 minutes? and get myself ready for the guest. Nobody going to adopt me and I honestly don't care anymore.

Yeah, I want to get out of this place but I don't want to go Into a loveless home. For someone to adopt me out of pity after they hear my story.

I don't want to be adopted into a family where I would be treated differently because I'm not their blood.

So I can be their personal slave and do whatever they want. If its going to be like that I rather stay here until I'm 18 so I can leave on my own.

I began cleaning, sweeping the floors, wiping off the tables, the normal. I was picking up empty soda cans off the floor when sandy walks up to me.

She has been my only friend here we talk as much as we can. I don't get that much time to make friends and hang out with the other kids here because Claudia keeps me busy.

Its not like they would want to be friends with me anyway.

If its not the chores or her beating me then it's the absurd things she makes me do and on top of that school.

"Are you okay Melissa?" I turn my body around toward her before nodding my head continuing to pick up trash.

"I'm sorry about what happen she had no right to hit you" she sighs when I don't answer.

"Its fine San, I'm used to it, plus it didn't even hurt." I joke trying to lighten the mood so she can Leave me alone.

She gives me a pointed look both of us knowing that was a lie, it hurt like hell.

"Yeah says that hand print on the side of your face" she said sarcastically

"Don't you have to get ready for the adopters or something?" I question annoyed.