forty-six

Emerson

It was a really strange thing to experience, almost dying. Everyone always tells you that you see this bright light, and you either walk towards it or run away from it. But that's not what it was like for me.

For me, I never saw a bright light, all I saw was Gideon Walker. I saw him showing up on my doorstep the day after he tried to kiss me for the first time, a fig leaf plant in his arms and a soft smile on his face. I saw him walking into the Hideout for the first time, looking relaxed and at ease as he welcomed me to his town, already having known my name. I saw the way his face seemed to light up the day he took me to his favorite spot in Luciana (which, now that I thought about it, he had never taken me back...I'd have to remind him of that...if I live). I saw him opening the doors for me at the gala in his custom-made suit, his butt looking downright delicious. I saw him hovered over me the night I gave myself to him, nothing but a twinkling in his eyes. Which, now that I thought about it, was love. He had loved me for quite some time, and it took me dying to actually realize that.

Of course, I had loved him too. I was just too stubborn to admit it to myself, and I damn sure wasn't going to admit it to him. Telling him that I loved him would give him some sort of hold over me, and I wasn't sure that I wanted anyone to have that, but for him, I would do anything-- of that I was sure.

When the fiery pain in my stomach had finally subsided, all that was left was a dull aching and the sound of my own guardian angel. It wasn't Gideon's voice that brought me back, but the voice of my mother, and I could hear her as plain as day as if she was standing next to me.

'I'm so proud of you, my baby girl.' She spoke, her voice quivering slightly. This was so fucking weird, but I wanted nothing more than to stay here a little longer, listening to my moms soothing voice that I hadn't heard in so long. 'You've been through so much during your lifetime, and I'm so sorry I left you. But, I only left you in the flesh, I'm always with you.'

I wanted to call out to her, find her in this strange foggy dream and hug her, hold her, and have her console me the way she used to when I was upset. But I was nothing more than wisps of vapor, and she was nothing more than a disembodied voice. It was pretty creepy, to be honest, but it was soothing nonetheless.

'He loves you, you know.' She said, her voice was enveloping me like a warm blanket, and I remained there in my own consciousness, allowing her to tell me everything she wanted to. 'I know you love him, too. I know it hasn't been easy, my little flower, but he's the one. And I think you know that. He's worth it, and I need you to fight for him. Fight for the love the two of you share, Emerson. Because the worst has yet to come, but as long as you have him by your side, you'll be able to get through anything.' My heart ached to see her, her long brown hair flowing with the strange wind that seemed to be surrounding me, yet the wisps of vapor that made me never faltered. I couldn't see her, but I could feel her. And though part of me wanted to stay here forever with my mom, the other part of me needed to get back to my earthly angel, the man who somehow had managed to break down all of my walls, the man that I loved more than any other person breathing-- Gideon Walker.

'Go, baby. He needs you now. I love you so much, and I'm so proud of the woman you're becoming. Keep your guard up, and trust your own judgement.' My moms disembodied voice gave me a few last words of encouragement before my whole body felt like it had been plunged into icy water. I could feel my lungs sputtering and gasping for air-- but not actual air, no, the only air I needed to breathe.

"Gideon?" I had finally found my voice, and his name was the first one I had asked for. I remember hearing him begging me to stay alive, I remember him telling me he loved me. I knew he loved me now, and that made it easier to accept my own feelings for him. But, how did he know where I was? And how was he able to get to me so fast? That little fucker must have had a tail on me, and as much as I wanted to scold him for that, all I really wanted was to hear him say those three words again. As my eyes slipped into focus, I realized that I wasn't in a pristine white hospital bed, rather I was sunken into Gideon's comfortable pillow top bed, and there was a heavy weight next to me. Damnit, it hurt to move or to breathe, so instead of rolling over to face whoever was in bed next to me, I opted out and remained still, my face contorted in pain.