Chapter 7

And so Elsa began her grand epic quest to rescue her sister Anna.

For the first stretch of the journey, she was able to use Nokk to travel. The sea bordering Arendelle was more vast and expansive than Elsa could have imagined, and they galloped on over the water's surface for what seemed like an entire day.

Eventually, they arrived at an unfamiliar plot of land. As soon as they reached the shoreline, Nokk bucked and stalled: this was as far as the water spirit was able to take her.

Elsa hopped off and pressed her forehead to the creature's noble face. "Thank you, friend," she whispered. "Wish me luck."

Nokk shook its head to and fro, then turned around and darted across the water at top speed. Elsa watched until it disappeared into the horizon. Then she pressed forward.

She had landed on a pebble beach which quickly gave way to a forest lush with greenery and deciduous trees. In many ways it was similar to the Enchanted Forest; however, as she surveyed her surroundings, she was aware that while the area was full of life, she didn't feel the same strong pull of magic. It just felt like an ordinary forest.

"Are we there yet?" asked Olaf (the now-necklace adorned around Elsa's neck).

Elsa chuckled. "To be honest, Olaf," she said, "I'm not quite sure where 'there' is supposed to be."

"I see - so we're lost then," replied Olaf.

Elsa frowned. "We're not lost, we're just....not where we're needed. I've never known the existence of lands beyond our borders and neighboring kingdoms. It honestly feels like I'm traversing No Man's Land."

"Good thing you're a woman then," explained Olaf.

Suddenly, Elsa paused.

Olaf continued talking: "I wonder if there's also a 'No Woman's Land' we have to watch out for. Or even a 'No Snowman's Land'. Heh. A 'Snowman's Land'."

"Olaf...be quiet," warned Elsa. She could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end and goosebumps begin to form. 

She was being followed.

Her eyes darted back and forth, and she scanned above, high into the treetop canopies, occasionally seeing the movement of leaves she initially assumed was wind, and nothing more...

Then she saw it; from the corner of her eyes, Elsa dodged just in time as a figure tried to ambush her with a pair of daggers. She blocked the attack and turned around to spar and defend herself. She was trained in some form of self-defense, but apparently so was the other person, and the two duked it out until Elsa was able to get some space between the two of them.

Instinctively, she used her magic to conjure up her own matching pair of ice daggers. She got a good look at her assailant: it was a young woman, possibly around her own age, with olive skin and short, brown, spikey cropped hair. She was wearing what appeared to be a jumpsuit made of red leather; aside from her head and neck, the rest of her body was fully covered, epecially her hands, which were donning red and black leather gloves.

She observed Elsa's defensive stance, then threw her own daggers aside. The stranger then made two fists at her sides, which were lit up as a ball of flame erupted and surrounded each hand.

Elsa lowered her weapons, stunned.

The stranger, however, smirked malevolently. "Oh, little lamb - I think you've wandered into the wrong neighborhood..."