Home

It'd been days since I'd slept in a bed, or sleep at all really, people were getting more and more cautious about who they let in their house now a days, I didn't blame them, with all the shitty humans waiting for the moment to rob or take advantage of others running around, a rugged sixteen year old with nothing but a pocket knife and a beat up stuffed teddy bear seemed dangerous in everyone's eyes, even if all that sixteen year old wanted was somewhere safe to rest for the night.

This really sucks I thought as I sneezed, snow fell around me as the cold started to seep back into me, now you're probably wondering by now, Chris, why dont you take that skinny ass to a homeless shelter? The answer to that is simple

There's no way in the seven stars am I going back there.

That was the first thing I did when I was thrown out my home and it was horible, I was constantly being picked on and the staff weren't very friendly either, finally it just got too much and I ran away, that was when I was fifteen, I've been living by myself on the streets for a year now and have gotten pretty damn good at it if you ask me.

A small cloud rose up into the sky before disappearing gracefully as I sighed, this was the last house I'm trying before scuttering away for the week, if I get sick I'll just have to get over it. My fist softly knocked on the oak door, I gently shifted my weight from side to side waiting for an answer, just as another defeated sigh escaped my lips it swung open revealing a tall man.

He looked older, maybe forty, but still had a very strong muscle build and a five o'clock shadow that was starting to grow out into a real beard, his hair was as pitch black as the night behind me turing wavy right round the bottom which stopped just under his ear. He was dressed nicely as if he just got back from an important event and was about to unwind, I felt slightly guilty for interupting him as he looked tired but my need to not die of hypothermia quickly overcame that feeling as a light breeze blew on my back causing me to shiver.

"Is there anything i can help you with?" He asked, tilting his head with a frown.

"A-ah,yes" I stuttered from the cold, my accent slipping in my tone a bit.

"Oh a brit boy? what could I ever do for you?"

I grimanced, usually Brits are very wealthy and rarely need to ask for something of others in my state, which was I hid my accent because it was embarrassing asking for help with it. "I-I unfortunately can't get home tonight, if it w-wouldn't be a bother could I temporaily occupy a room in your house?"

The man thought for a minute, looking at the white ground that stopped just at his porch then back at me who was about to pass out from the cold, lack of sleep and hunger then nodded to himself, "one condition young man"

"Anything" I piped up all to quickly.

He smiled a bit, but for some reason it didn't give me a bad feeling in my gut like so many others, "You can stay as long as you wish, if you can work"

That was what made me nervous, he was the opposite of intimedating but the work word made me want to immediatly decline his offer and find somewhere else to crash due to some poorly made decisions that gave me even bigger trust issues then I did two years ago, I cautiously placed one foot behind me before letting the words pass my lips "what kind of work?"

"Don't worry im not a pervert" He chuckled lightly as to not scare me "I just need another pair of hands to help me around the house, kind of like odd jobs"

I could do odd jobs, still I thought about it deeply no matter how hard the wind tried to rush me into the warm house, finally deciding that if he wanted to try anything I'll aim for the neck and dash. "...I'll accept your condition"