- 36 -

Harmony
Part 2

"What the fuck!?" I yelled when I felt a hand touch my arm which made me immediately dropped the house keys on the ground

"Hey, it's me!" Layla said adjusting the hat on her head so I could see her eyes.

"You know better than to sneak up on black people like that." I stared at her as I tried to calm myself down.

"Surprise!" She chuckled and adjusted the bag on her shoulder.

"Don't scare me like that again!" I said.

"I'm sorry!" She responded.

"I thought someone done caught me slipping." I shook my head.

"It's just me sis!" She said and checked out her surroundings as a car flew by blasting loud music.

"What are you doing here anyways?" I grabbed my house keys from off the ground and walked over to the front door.

"Didn't want to be alone tonight. I called your phone but you weren't answering." She said.

"I was out with Mea." I said sticking the key inside of the lock.

"That explains everything. I thought you were ignoring me. So, I just came over." She said.

"No, my phone died while I was on the way home." I said turning the door knob.

"Oh okay." She paused. "Do you mind if we do one of our sleepovers tonight?" She gave me a small smile.

I looked over my shoulder and took in her appearance. She was dressed in a long sleeve black shirt, blue jeans and sneakers with a red had on top of her head. Behind the attempted fake smile I could see something was wrong.

"Girl come inside." I said before moving out of the doorway so she could walk inside.

"Thank you." She dropped her bag on the floor and plopped down on the couch.

"What's really wrong Lay?" I locked the front door and kicked off my heels.

"I told you I couldn't sleep and needed some fresh air." She said and sat up on the couch to take off her sneakers.

I stared at her wrist and squinted my eyes when I saw the huge red bruise on her wrist.

"Layla can I ask you a serious question?" I slowly dragged my eyes away from her wrist and made eye contact with her.