- 31 -

Harmony

"Hey Siri define love"
love ( /ləv/) noun:
an intense feeling of deep affection.

"Hey Siri define love"love ( /ləv/) noun:an intense feeling of deep affection

I stepped out of my car and made my way up the path towards my parents home. I smiled at the small children playing in the front yard next door before using my spare key to open the door.

I kicked my heels off at the door and walked towards the kitchen where "Nobody" by Keith Sweat was blasting.

"Who can love you like me, who can sex you like me, who can treat you like me now, baby...." My dad had his arms wrapped around my mother's waist singing in her ear while she was washing dishes.

"Nobody baby.." My mother replied as she giggled.

I walked closer to them and cleared my throat.

"Hey Monnie!" My dad smiled.

"Why every time I come over here you guys are always acting like horny teenagers. Instead of your ages 45 and 47." I said before taking my seat at the kitchen table.

"Don't be a hater all your life." My dad said before turning the music off.

"Period Pooh." My mom did the hand gesture and stuck her tongue out at me.

"This is what 25 years of happy married life will do to you." My dad kissed my mother on her cheek before walking over to hug me.

"You could be happy like this too Harmony." My mother said.

"I am happy mom. I'm happy with myself." I said pulling away from my father.

"I love you baby girl. Imma holla at you later." My dad said before walking over to the counter and grabbing his car keys.

"Where are you going?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Me and the homies are going to hang out on the block and smoke some weed. Might play some dice too like old times." He said and shrugged his shoulders.

"Daddy!" I squinted my eyes at him.

"Girl I'm just playing. We can't hang like that no more. I'm just going to Braxton's house to play cards with the boys. I'll see you beautiful ladies later." He grabbed his coat from off of the chair.

"I love you." My mother said still at the sink cleaning dishes.

"I love you more." He winked at her.