- 39 -

Flashback
23 years ago

Flashback 23 years ago

"Congratulations Ms. Paige on your new bundle of joy!" The nurse smiled and walked over to me with the baby in hand.

I stared at the baby for a few in silence before turning towards my sister Zamora in the corner.

"I don't want it!" I mumbled towards my sister so only she could here.

The nurse smiled and placed the baby onto my chest. The room was silent as I stared at the child with no words coming out of my mouth.

"I think she's still in shock. The baby is so adorable." I heard Zamora speak with admiration in her voice.

"Mom would you like the baby to stay a little longer or are you ready for some rest now?" The nurse smiled at me.

"Rest." I looked up towards her with a fake smile on my face.

"Tell mommy see you later." The nurse gently grabbed the baby before heading out of the room.

We waited until the door closed before speaking.

"Are you sure about this? I thought your mindset would change once you gave birth." Zamora asked me.

"I don't want it! Am I speaking Spanish?" I asked.

"You can't take out your anger on that baby." Zamora shook her head.

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes and fanned my hand at her.

"I'm serious Lola. Just because whoever the daddy is will not be around that doesn't mean you neglect the blessing you both created." She rolled her eyes.

"I already made up my mind. When we get out of here. That baby is your responsibility." I shrugged.

"What about Liyah?" She looked down at my oldest child sleeping in her lap.

"What about her? She's fine being an only child and her father helps me take care of her financially." I shrugged.

"You are so unbelievable." Zamora said shaking her head.

"You done being in my business? I need some rest." I got comfortable in the hospital bed.

"How can you sleep with the fucked up decisions you be making." She said.