The Magic a Girl Can Hold

August 1896

"That headline was worse than the Delanceys," Feister said as she and Mush walked the streets of Manhattan after a rough day of selling. "Like who cares bout new born baby kittens on the Brooklyn bridge?"'

"Hey! A lot of people love animals," Mush pointed out as he stuffed his hands in his pockets while a warm breeze danced in the air.

In the distance the sound of a bell could be heard and a loud voice called out, "Come one come all to see the great Magic Maverick." almost immediately children of all ages went running to the sound with their families, eager smiles on their faces and laughter in their eyes.

Curiosity seemed to have struck the two newsies, because the next thing they knew, they were trailing behind the crowd. Plus, it was better than sitting around the bunkroom doing nothing. With summer quickly coming to a close, there would be plenty of "sitting around and doing nothing" in the winter.

In a matter of moments the magic show started, it was nothing out of the ordinary though. A rabbit pulled out of a hat, playing cards turned to doves, and all those kinds of tricks. But it definitely seemed to get a wide-eyed reaction out of the kids, and even little Feister was impressed. But she wouldn't say that out loud, muchless show it. But inside she was smiling brightly. It wasn't everyday she got to see a magic show. When she did however, she usually had newspapers to sell, and by the time she finished, the show was too. Little did Feister know that there was a small absent smile across her lips. And that a certain someone was paying more attention to her than the magic show.

It didn't take very long for Mush to notice Feister's little smile. He had developed a habit of side glancing her out of fear that something would happen while they were selling. And it just sort of stuck after awhile. There were a few times Mush didn't even realize he was doing it until either Feister would make some smart remark, or one of the boys would point it out, before teasing him about having a crush on little Feisty. Boy, if Mush had a penny every time he heard someone say that, he'd be richer than Pulitzer.

Before long, the show was over and the little kids were all clapping. Mush and Feister clapped for the heck of it because it was over all entertaining. After the children and their families went away, Mush and Feister hung around by one of the trees, enjoying the fresh air, and calmness before heading back to the Lodge.

"Hey Feisty, you wanna split a cola?" Mush asked.

"Ya sure you wanna go spendin' yer money like that?" Feister asked as she took her cap off. Her braids came tumbling down as she scratched the top of her head. Either it was time to wash her hair, or she caught fleas from Butttons'.

"We's both deserve somethin' sweet after a long day of hawkin the headlines, don't cha think?" Mush argued.

Feister was about to say something, but she sighed and nodded in reply. Mush smiled as he got up and pushed Feister's head to the side as he went up to the vendor.

When Mush walked up to the cart he saw Magic Maverick seemed to have the same idea he had. Mush wasn't sure if it was better to come back a few minutes later, or do a simple grab and go. Most of the people in New York don't typically like newsies, so it was better to be safer than sorry. Then again, Mush really wanted a soda. After thinking it over for a few moments, Mush sighed as he walked up to the vendor for the cola.

"You don't believe in magic, do ya boy," the old man said out of nowhere.

"If it keeps the kids happy, then I don't see what's not to believe," the vendor replied with a shrug.

"Not you soda pop," the old man waved off the vendor. "The short one with the raggy shirt and cap."

"You tawkin' bout me?" Mush asked in confusion as he looked up. He didn't think much of it at first. After all, what kind of person would want to make small talk with a newsie? Well actually, there are a few customers of the female variety that seem to flirt with him every now and then. At least that's what Wolf told him. Which Mush thinks is completely pointless because girls are EW! Besides Feister of course. But that doesn't apply to her seeing as she's one of the boys.

"Course I'm talkin' bout you son. You have that look on your face!" the old man replied. "I've seen it many times in my life. You think magic is a waste of time, don' t chya?"

"Um-ah," Mush stuttered. He glanced over at the vendor, who seemed just as confused as he was. "Well...um...I mean....I guess. Ain't magic a..." Mush paused for a moment as he tried to remember the word "...illusion...right? Just a bunch of tricks an' sleight of hand. Not that yer show wasn't good. It's just that magic is-

"Say it boy. Say it out loud."

"What?" Mush asked. Sounding more confused than before. Maybe he should make a run for it while he still could.

"Say you don't believe in magic," Magic Maverick replied with firm eyes as he looked at the young boy.

"....I don't believe in magic....?" Mush trailed off as he took a small step back for safety reasons.

Magic Maverick took one look at the young boy that was standing in front of him. He just smiled and said, "You will when you see her for." his shifted his gaze to where the young girl was sitting. 

Which of course made Mush glanced to where Feister was before turning back to Magic Maverick, but the older man was gone. There was no doubt that Feister was the topic of conversation, but what did he mean by "see her". Mush has already seen Feister millions of times. They live in the same building for pete's sake. They're selling partners for crying out loud. Best friends who see each other everyday! The real question is, when does he not see her?

"Crazy old man," the vendor said while shaking his head. "Probably just talkin' none-sense. I wouldn't worry bout it too much kid," he said as he handed Mush the bottle of cola.

Mush nodded in thanks before walking back to the tree Feister was under. He scratched the back of his head before brushing it off. Mush wasn't about to let some crazy old man ruin his afternoon with his best friend.

From that point on, every now and again, Mush would still wonder what "see her" really meant. But as the years went by, he soon forgot about it and continued on with life. Little did Mush know that on a rainy night, years from now, that he would finally learn what "see her" really meant. And boy, would he wish he realized it sooner.

───── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─────

Author's note

The second I saw this quote, I knew I had to write it into a chapter because it fitted so well for what I wanted at this point and time. I never thought I'd get such a kick out of writing little Mush's prospective. You can say he's still in that "girls a gross" stage of life. Feister's an exception of this for obvious reasons. He's sees her as nothing more than his best friend, and she feels the same way about him. It's safe to say this was yet another favorite of mine to write, and overall one of the cuter chapters. With that being said, I say with every happy, sad, and bitterly sweet emotion there is only one more chapter left in this book. I'll save all the heartfelt stuff for the next A/N, however, I do want to say this is my longest book, and I find it so hard to believe the end is nearing. I hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading, and I'll see you soon.