Chapter 4

Kirito held up the crude shotgun in his hands as Kommando293 led them from the outpost on their first scavenge run. He didn't like the feel of a shotgun in his hands but he knew that it would have to do until he could make himself a sword from scrap and junk. He and the others had different weapons but no one complained since they knew it would change once they got some scavenged junk and scrap. As they walked along, Kommando293 led them down a lone road which, when Kirito checked his map, led to a small patch of suburbs. It seemed to be made of a dozen or so houses of various disrepair and a few stores also in disrepair.

"This is a decent XP farm we use for newbies like you all. It doesn't have too many Infected spawned in it at any given point. Plus, its good for starter gear of any sort." Kommando293 said as they walked closer to the suburbs outskirts.

They came closer and when Kommando293 got to a car, he got his rifle out as he looked down the scope and everyone got behind him as they held up a multitude of weapons, a mixture of shotguns, rifles, and pistols. The only one without any weapon was Yui.

Finally, Kommando293 said, "Okay, let's go. But be careful what you do. Infected have incredible hearing and aren't something to laugh at in any combat. If a bunch come at you, just run or if you want to try, pick them off with your weapons. But because I'm here, just give a shout and I'll deal with them for you."

"I think we can handle these things on our own." Said Yulier with her crude, scrap pistol.

Kommando293 shrugged. "Suit yourself."

They slowly walked towards the closest house and Kommando293 hurtled the fence as he waited for the others to go over the fence before he walked over to the houses back door and slowly opened it with the rifle barrel pointing into the doorway. Once he had it fully opened, he looked over to his group and said in almost a whisper, "Come on! Inside. Take food, scrap, junk, and potential weapons. Just, try not to be too noisy while you look."

He went upstairs, as he slowly climbed the stairs with his rifle up and as he did, Kirito saw a blade handle sticking out of his belt. He, Asuna, and Yui went into a room where the roofing had collapsed and there was a pile of junk that lay nearby. Kirito walked up to it and tapped it but nothing happened.
So this is what Hardcore is. Nothing is done for you, you do it yourself. Kirito shook his head at the thought. Americans.

So, he slowly began to dig through the pile with his hands as Asuna joined him. Yui walked around before she stopped next a window and she looked out it. Kirito tried to keep quite as he moved pieces of junk as Asuna tried to herself. Some of the stuff clattered to the floor and they stiffened each time as they heard more scavenging around them as the others did the same. As Kirito set a side a broken board, he saw something buried beneath and as he carefully took it out, he saw it once had been part of something metal. Now, it was rusty and as he looked at it, he shrugged and decided to put it into his inventory. Might actually be useful to create something.

Then, there was a clatter, followed by a squeak and he heard people moving as Kommando293 came down stairs and looked into a nearby room as Kirito and Asuna got up and Yui looked over. Recon and Leafa were in the dining room table and on the floor looked like a wooden board. Kommando293 looked at them, then held a finger up, as if he was listening for something. Then, he looked at the two and said, "Hey, you both okay? What happened?"

"We were looking around when this fell. I'm don't know how it happened." Leafa said as Recon took a quick peek outside.

"Normally that doesn't happen on its own. However, if you all think we've done this house over, we should get moving onto the next house." Kommando293 said as he joined Recon.